Benchcrafted Orders

Eric.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up...

I ordered the hardware package for the split-top yesterday, and they said it will be about a month before it ships. You have to imagine as more Guilders place their orders the wait will only get longer. So order your stuff!

BTW, very prompt and courteous responses from Benchcrafted.

I can't wait to start this build!

I ordered both my vises (already had one of their Moxon kits) at WIA, and they said they had quite a few orders for the guild build.

Super nice guys. FJ is a funny dude.

Yes, they are nice guys! This was my 3rd WIA and their booth is always one of my favorites.

I ordered my hardware there too. I decided to go ahead and order both the left and right hand tail vises. Jameel said I probably won't use the second one very much, but he didn't seem to mind selling it to me. :D

He also said there was no problem with getting us all our stuff in time.

I've ordered a few things from Benchcrafted, and I think they underpromise but overdeliver (which I like). I think my orders a few months ago, they said 4 - 6 weeks but they really shipped in 2 - 3 week. Although, with WIA they really might be backed up now. I think they are like Scotty on Star Trek. "Captain it will take a week to get the engines back online. You have an hour, Scotty! Aye Captain!".

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I expect mine should be arriving soon. I ordered just before going to WIA. I still haven't had the chance to go get my lumber out of the warehouse. I've been busy finishing up winterizing the place and a master bath remodel.

• 3 weeks later...

Well dont I feel special!

A medium sized box was waiting on my porch when I got home from work today. The fact that I could barely pick it up told me what was inside.

You know that buyers remorse feeling when spending too much on a product.... I didnt have that at all here. This hardware is top notch, heavy as heck and very, very well machined. I feel like I got every penny's worth.

I look forward to the build with great anticipation.

I was a little disappointed that the pin for the leg vise didn't come with a handle...the cocobolo handles for the handwheels are so nice. Would have been cool to have a matching one. Guess I'll have to improvise. What are you guys without lathes gonna do for yours? I know it's a small detail...may as well iron it out while we wait. :)

I got my vise's yesterday(11/14/11), have started to join the edges of my 'soft-maple' from "Penn's Woods". One forgets how much a piece of 8/4 by 9" by 6 foot weighs!!

being an 'old-fart'(72 yrs) is not all that it is suggested!!!

I plan to finish the bench and have it installed in my living room, so i can work near the wood stove in winter and a/c in the summer PA heat!

It should include the wheels and the "axle" bolts, and the bolts to attach the bracket to the leg. You have to make the wooden body of the bracket yourself. Basically, the kit contains all the metal parts needed but none of the wood.

Excellent! That wasn't explicit in the parts list. Looking forward to a heavy package from BC!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just got a e-mail from benchcrafted went like this!

___________________________________________________________________________________

We wanted to give you an update on the lead time on your order. You may have already received a shipping payment request indicating your order was ready. Unfortunately that's not the case.

We usually wait until we have orders packed and ready, but In the interest of getting your vises shipped quickly we were a tad overeager this week in requesting shipping payment a day or two before they were actually finished. We were in the process of running a batch of parts (which would complete your order) when we encountered some unexpected machining issues. Without boring you with the gruesome details of broken down lathes, suffice it to say that we've been delayed by this setback. Besides being enormously frustrated ourselves, we are working our tails off to get it remedied so you can get your order as soon as possible. We realize that you may have been waiting longer our stated lead time. It's the Christmas season, and things tend to get a little crazy this time of year. Believe me, its as irritating for us as it is for you when orders get delayed.

We should have the problem remedied sometime early next week, and we will get your order out asap. If you're building a bench as part of the Wood Whisperer Guild Build, we are entirely confident that you will get your vise by January, in time for the start of the build.

Thanks for being patient and understanding. It is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Not much you can do I guess the wood will acclimate a little longer :(

Well, I just got a e-mail from benchcrafted went like this!

___________________________________________________________________________________

We wanted to give you an update on the lead time on your order. You may have already received a shipping payment request indicating your order was ready. Unfortunately that's not the case.

We usually wait until we have orders packed and ready, but In the interest of getting your vises shipped quickly we were a tad overeager this week in requesting shipping payment a day or two before they were actually finished. We were in the process of running a batch of parts (which would complete your order) when we encountered some unexpected machining issues. Without boring you with the gruesome details of broken down lathes, suffice it to say that we've been delayed by this setback. Besides being enormously frustrated ourselves, we are working our tails off to get it remedied so you can get your order as soon as possible. We realize that you may have been waiting longer our stated lead time. It's the Christmas season, and things tend to get a little crazy this time of year. Believe me, its as irritating for us as it is for you when orders get delayed.

We should have the problem remedied sometime early next week, and we will get your order out asap. If you're building a bench as part of the Wood Whisperer Guild Build, we are entirely confident that you will get your vise by January, in time for the start of the build.

Thanks for being patient and understanding. It is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Not much you can do I guess the wood will acclimate a little longer :(

Not to worry, the Abraham brothers are a class act, they'll come through for you.