New woodshop advice?

MattGo58

Hi Everyone, I have been following TWW for a while now but finally have had the opportunity to set up my own woodworking shop. I have an attached 12' x 28' garage that I have to myself (thanks to the wife for letting me have my own space!) I come from a home building background, tiling, framing, drywall, etc. I have dabbled in some woodworking in the past but never got serious. What advice can you all give me in shop setup, tips for what hardwood goes great with white birch, etc. Any advice is much appreciated.

P.S. I bought my first piece of purple heart the other day that I will trim out some white birch for a shelf for my wife.

plan out carefully how you want things to be set up including dust collection. even if you dont have it now have it planed out so you can set it up or get part of it set up as quickly as you can. when your setting it up plan on your tools being positions so you can have an easy work flow. trust me when you have to walk across the garage 500 times you will be tired. an example put planer, jointer, band saw near each other so you can quickly work through your lumber so it is milled from ruff cut to smooth then you can have your wood processed without lots of walking

and make friends with a small one man mill he will often have wood stacked up that he has no use for and cant sell but you can make something from it that is truely unique. sell it to you for no money at all. just bought some walnut hand rails that were cracked half way. so i cut out foot long sections to make into boxes

• Like 1

To the extent possible I'd try to have totally separate areas (or at least cabinets) for construction and furniture woodworking. There is some overlap, but not much. I find the home building tools distracting in my restricted space.

You see much on these forums and comments sections regarding dust collection.

Some go into deep planning. I tend to dive in, learn and then react. Unless the dream shop is your goal (as opposed to building projects) I'd use temp flex hoses to a dust collector until you have a chance to live in the shop, with your tools, and gain some insight into how you like to work and what type of projects you'll be getting into.

As a hobbyist woodworker flow is not as essential as in a production shop. Some folks can't stand extra steps. Others (moi) appreciate that time to think through things. I work slow and mostly do not mind. If you only have an occasional hour or so in the shop then having it all ready to go, becomes more important. But in that case you probably can't spend too much time optimizing the shop.

Have fun, make mistakes, learn from them. I began five years ago with one small project. Never would have guessed how deeply I'd become involved. Certainly would have been scared off if I knew then how much I would have spend on this avocation during the past five years. Leave yourself open to see what excites you.

Wishing you good things in the shop and good things coming out of that shop.

• Like 2

Along with dust collection, consider electrical layout. Some of the larger items (TS, planer, jointer, DC) should be on a dedicated circuit. More outlets means less changing of cords, and no extension cords.

Also - when planning, be sure to think/plan in 3D - some taller items (drill press) need more height; having flat surfaces all the same height (benches, tables, table saw, etc) comes in handy for extra support or out feed area for larger pieces; Higher spaces make for great storage for lumber or infrequently used items. Etc etc etc.

another tip try and tell people don't forget to look up don't only do you have a floor and 4 walls but you also have a ceiling if you have a 10 foot roof you can stick some lumber or storage onto the beams in the ceiling. makes it so you can store more and open up more space for tools.

just some ideas from my things I like in my shop

1. fridge, for cold drinks during thought breaks

2. TV, once this hobby consumes you it will be the only way to watch "the game"

3. stereo, a man has to have his tunes

4. First Aid kit, I find that a good deal of my projects require me to sprinkle them in blood before they are complete

Wayne

just some ideas from my things I like in my shop

1. fridge, for cold drinks during thought breaks

2. TV, once this hobby consumes you it will be the only way to watch "the game"

3. stereo, a man has to have his tunes

4. First Aid kit, I find that a good deal of my projects require me to sprinkle them in blood before they are complete

Wayne

5 deep sink

6 fire extinguishers

7 bed (you will never leave)

• 1 month later...

Hey Matt,

I would start with locating the machines strategically to best suit your intended activity. Dust collection should be carefully considered as more distance, pipes, bends and hoses result in reduced performance of your equipment. Keep it simple.

I would think about activity centres such as sharpening, finishing, fasteners, metalwork.

Don't spare expense on good lighting. Florescent lights with electronic ballasts have no buzz and can provide nice warm light if you pick the right bulbs.

Prioritize based on your most common activity.

I build boats so I need to keep a large amount of space open to accommodate those projects. Machines need to tuck away but still remain usable and centrally located to accommodate cutting of long length stock even when the boat is in the way. I need a long narrow bench to do plank shaping but it sits exactly where I would like to keep a chop saw. The solution is to keep the chop saw under the center of it on an appliance lift with pull out stock supports. I don't get a fixed fence with stops but I rarely need to make repeated cuts.

I would love a jointer but there is just no room for it so I make do with a jointing sled on the table saw and hand planes.

Start with a simple setup and start working on stuff. In a few months re-examine how you use the space and make changes. I used to have very simple wall benches with a lower shelf on which sat all my handheld power tools in their own boxes and clamps in milk crates. I was always pulling them out and leaving them in the way creating a big tripping hazzard. When I set up my current shop I decided to fit out the shop wit lots of full extension drawers which hold all those tools and clamps. All those little tool boxes are either in the dump or sitting in storage.

Seven years in this shop and it is once again ready for a critical re-assesment. I built a layup bench much like Marc's and my bar clamps should move over to that area. My handplanes have moved into one of those drawers. I need a new joinery bench. Perhaps a jointer could fit into it. I always say make the shop work for you so you can make the work pretty. Chippendale didn't make workbenches with cabriole legs.

The active space of my shop is about the same size as yours. You can see photos of how I use it on my flickr page.

Hey Matt,

I would start with locating the machines strategically to best suit your intended activity. Dust collection should be carefully considered as more distance, pipes, bends and hoses result in reduced performance of your equipment. Keep it simple.

I would think about activity centres such as sharpening, finishing, fasteners, metalwork.

Don't spare expense on good lighting. Florescent lights with electronic ballasts have no buzz and can provide nice warm light if you pick the right bulbs.

Prioritize based on your most common activity.

I build boats so I need to keep a large amount of space open to accommodate those projects. Machines need to tuck away but still remain usable and centrally located to accommodate cutting of long length stock even when the boat is in the way. I need a long narrow bench to do plank shaping but it sits exactly where I would like to keep a chop saw. The solution is to keep the chop saw under the center of it on an appliance lift with pull out stock supports. I don't get a fixed fence with stops but I rarely need to make repeated cuts.

I would love a jointer but there is just no room for it so I make do with a jointing sled on the table saw and hand planes.

Start with a simple setup and start working on stuff. In a few months re-examine how you use the space and make changes. I used to have very simple wall benches with a lower shelf on which sat all my handheld power tools in their own boxes and clamps in milk crates. I was always pulling them out and leaving them in the way creating a big tripping hazzard. When I set up my current shop I decided to fit out the shop wit lots of full extension drawers which hold all those tools and clamps. All those little tool boxes are either in the dump or sitting in storage.

Seven years in this shop and it is once again ready for a critical re-assesment. I built a layup bench much like Marc's and my bar clamps should move over to that area. My handplanes have moved into one of those drawers. I need a new joinery bench. Perhaps a jointer could fit into it. I always say make the shop work for you so you can make the work pretty. Chippendale didn't make workbenches with cabriole legs.

The active space of my shop is about the same size as yours. You can see photos of how I use it on my flickr page.

i would love to see how you make boats in a video if you ever get set up to do that please send me a link so i can watch it. dont know that i will ever make one but still doesnt stop me from wanting to know how :)

• 3 weeks later...