Need router recommendations

Nick2cd

Porter cable sells a combo kit with fixed and plunge basses that does 1/4" & 1/2" bits and has an edge guide - most bang for the buck and i have yet to burn one out. I have several pc units and happy with all. I am still looking for the d handle but i cant get myself to spend 50 bucks for the d handle itself!! If I was u start looking used on craigs list - america is having a garage sale due to this wonderfull econmy u know.

any brand name 2 to 2 1/2 hp range router will work for you. i have a bosch 2 1/4 hp that works real well and a ridgid 2 hp thats real nice also. i would go with porter cable, bosch, ridgid (discontinued now i think), dewalt, makita, or milwaukee. i think they will all perform very well, but the features on each will be different. happy hunting.

Nick - I have the Dewalt DW618 kit that I like - It's 2 1/4 HP, variable speed, and came with fixed and plunge bases. Any of the manufacturers Jason mentioned above make good models.

Just a thought - "common tasks" and "raised panel doors" might mean different classes of power. I've found the 2.25HP Dewalt more than adequate for a range of tasks. I suppose you could do raised panels with 2.25Hp or so (I have yet to do it) but you really might want 3HP for that. Many people seem to dedicate a 3HP unit to a router table and then use a smaller one for handheld use.

I don't really think there is a one size fits all router. For years they told us how dangerous it was to run horizontal panel raising bits with anything other than a 3 1/4 hp router. So we used vertical bits to make it safer, that seems to have gone by the wayside for some reason. Personally I think routers are all about ergonomics and agility. With the cost coming down like it has I think even the hobbyist should have at least two different sizes. I use a PC 3 1/4 in the router table, A 2 1/4 plunge for dovetails and anything that needs a plunge, Little PC 690's as edge treatment routers and general purpose trimming and little PC trim routers for veneer trimming and edge easing routers.

If you can fit different sizes in your budget it sure makes routing tasks easier.

Don

Hadn't heard that using a horizontal bit on 2hp vs. 3hp router is any more or less dangerous. In reality, it is probably the most dangerous bit you can use on any router as that is a lot of metal spinning over a fairly wide radius. The key is how you use the bit. Regardless of router HP, run it at its slowest speed! Use push blocks. Take more passes while cutting away less material for each pass on the smaller router. Use push blocks. If your router table is equipped with a guard, use it. Only use the bit in a router table!! Use push blocks. If not using the fence, make sure you use a good sturdy starting pin, and do not let the work piece leave that starting pin until it meets the bearing of the bit. Did I mention you should use push blocks?

Milwaukee 5616-24 plunge/fixed kit. It's built like a tank, runs strong, has variable speed, accepts standard PC bushings, has a great plunge base, and has the BodyGrip fixed base which I really like.

milwaukee-5616-24-1207.jpg

I bought the fixed base version (before the plunge was available), and put it in my lift, love it.

How is the plunge for run-out, or side wiggle on the Milwalke plunge base?

When the new PC618 first came out I was at a Rockler and played with one, and was really disappointment with the play in the plunge. I have an older PC plunge only router, and its plunge bearings are still perfect. I've had to fix the switch and speed control. But the hard mechanical bits are still perfect.

I bought the fixed base version (before the plunge was available), and put it in my lift, love it.

How is the plunge for run-out, or side wiggle on the Milwalke plunge base?

When the new PC618 first came out I was at a Rockler and played with one, and was really disappointment with the play in the plunge. I have an older PC plunge only router, and its plunge bearings are still perfect. I've had to fix the switch and speed control. But the hard mechanical bits are still perfect.

I haven't taken any measurements, but haven't noticed issues with slop on the plunger. It seems excellent to me, and is considerably nicer than the plunge on my Freud FT1700.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree with Don...we need many routers....many.....routers. You don't have to attend a RF class (Router Fettish Class) until you reach 21 of them. I have a Makita 1101 and love it. 2 1/4 HP will do about anything I need it to. Works great also in the router lift. soft start and low noise.