Hi from France !

RomainSaucourt

Hi everybody !

Yes I'm french (so apologize me if i'm making some mistakes) !

I'm a beginning woodworker, i-ve discovered woodwhisperer.com a few weeks ago, and well, i'm really impressed.

In fact, in France, we haven't a website like it, but there are some guys who have serious skills.

A few things about me, i'm married and have two children, i live near belgium. About my workshop, it's very tiny (about 12 square meters...), but it-s quite enough to begin !

So, long life to this site and it's community !

Bienvenue!

Il y a au moins un autre français parmi les fidèles mais son nom m’échappe.

(Alors en français, c’est moi qui ferrais les fautes :rolleyes:)

Ça m’étonne qu’il n’existe pas de site pareil en français. J’en ai cherché il y a un an mais c’est plutôt le bricolage que la menuiserie. Pour moi, j’aurais aimé aussi suivre un tel forum pour apprendre le vocabulaire de cet art. Tant pis pour moi :(

A+

bienvenue.

Et de 3!

Je vais eviter le francais parce que je le pratique plus; entre l'anglais et le chinois ( ma femme est taiwanese) ma petite cervelle n'en peut plus.

Same here with the small space. Right now, I'm stuck in the garage with my lonely table saw and an assembly table. Not too much tools to do proper woodworking! Discovered the wood whisperer on youtube a few months back and since then there is not a day without checking out his site.

Stephane

Thanks a lot for your welcome ! (i'm not sure that is the right word for "accueil") !

Merci aux francophones de s'être manifestés !

To Marc, don't be afraid about your french skills, i feel the same when i'm looking at your videos !!

blah blah dado blah blah jig blah blah block plane blah blah .... :lol:

Salut je suis nouveau aussi. J'utilise Google pour parler français. My francais consist of all the dirty words and 1-10. I would love to see you post some picks of some "French stuff" Most of what I think of when I hear French and Woodworking together is HIGHLY POLISHED and Rich items... Sure its not all like that tho. Thats not a bad thing!

Salut je suis nouveau aussi. J'utilise Google pour parler français. My francais consist of all the dirty words and 1-10. I would love to see you post some picks of some "French stuff" Most of what I think of when I hear French and Woodworking together is HIGHLY POLISHED and Rich items... Sure its not all like that tho. Thats not a bad thing!

Okay, THAT was funny :)

I'd love to see shows about French woodworking, oui oui. I have TV5-Monde, a French satellite channel at home and one year they showed a series about artisans. It wasn't always woodworking, but had excellent coverage of gold-leafing, antique restoration, verifying authenticity, marquetry, and mixed media. Hasn't aired in awhile; I should look for it, though. If the videos would be available, you could watch them without Google as they would likely be available with subtitles.

Actually, maybe our francophones know of such a series?

Bonjour Romain. Happy woodworking US style!

I really didn't know 'fart' was a french word. We learn something new every day here on Wood Talk Online.

PS: I'll be headed your way in October...to Cholet. Any tips on the local cuisine, or regional wine?

Not a lot of very local cuisine but wines are, in my opinion, better than Bordeaux's , must try :Coteaux du Layon, Savennières, Saumur-Champigny, Crémant de Loire.

And the "Cointreau", maybe you know it, it's alcohol made from oranges, very perfumed

Oh, and if you like chocolate try to find some "Quernons d'Angers", it is a blue-grey piece of chocolate with "nougatine" (sorry i don't know the name in english !)

In this area, you could visit some castles, some with very beautiful piece of furniture from various ages !

Oh I don't know how is the weather at your home, but here in France, summer is ending and it's getting colder everyday ! Don't panic, you could have a very good weather when you will come ! (but don't forget to check the weather before your journey !)

Bye !

"fart" is not a french word, for this word we say "péter"

Hi everybody !

Yes I'm french (so apologize me if i'm making some mistakes) !

I'm a beginning woodworker, i-ve discovered woodwhisperer.com a few weeks ago, and well, i'm really impressed.

In fact, in France, we haven't a website like it, but there are some guys who have serious skills.

A few things about me, i'm married and have two children, i live near belgium. About my workshop, it's very tiny (about 12 square meters...), but it-s quite enough to begin !

So, long life to this site and it's community !

Hi I am not French but I live and work in France. The hamlet I live in which has been here since the late 1500's is called Le Bois-Servant hence my name 'The Wood Servant' It's about an hour south of Poitiers I'm not too sure how far away we are from you but if there's anything I can help you with please do not hesitate to call. I am afraid my French is very little but with wood we should be somewhere in the same language. The name is Pete by the way not quite a 'fart' www.boisservant.com

Thanks a lot Pete,

I'm living near belgium, about 560 km far from you !

I went to your website, and i'm really impressed, about furniture and also about your home ! What a big challenge it was !

Bye !

Hi I am not French but I live and work in France. The hamlet I live in which has been here since the late 1500's is called Le Bois-Servant hence my name 'The Wood Servant' It's about an hour south of Poitiers I'm not too sure how far away we are from you but if there's anything I can help you with please do not hesitate to call. I am afraid my French is very little but with wood we should be somewhere in the same language. The name is Pete by the way not quite a 'fart' www.boisservant.com

Bonjour mes braves! Et bonjour particulierement a vous, Romain. Votre anglais est magnifique par rapport a mon francais, et les autres aussi, a l'exception de Paul-Marcel!(Canadien, n'est-ce pas, je pense?)

Whew, that's my French exhausted. Like Bluwoods, I will be in your beautiful country this October, holidaying with my darling girl, and hope to visit the Forge de St. Jouery, near Albi, where Monsieur Auriou makes those wonderful hand-crafted rasps for woodworking. I once had distant relatives living in Vimy, near Arras, which is not too far from you. Bon chance, mon ami, et salut d'Australie. Gezdog

Bonjour mes braves! Et bonjour particulierement a vous, Romain. Votre anglais est magnifique par rapport a mon francais, et les autres aussi, a l'exception de Paul-Marcel!(Canadien, n'est-ce pas, je pense?)

Non, je l'ai franchement étudié par moi-même en espèrant un post à Paris en informatique. Bienque j'ai un nom particulièrement français, je ne le suis point. Évidement le voisinage franco-canadien (à 4.500 km...) m'a gravement affecté.

G'Day and Thanks a lot, Gezdog !

Well, maybe someday, i will travel to your very beautiful country to meet aussies, go at BYO, drink a four X and dance on "Waltzing Mathilda" !

Do you know, i live in a town call "Charleville" and there's a town with the same name in Queensland !

So i hope you will have good holidays with your darling !

Whew, that's my French exhausted. Like Bluwoods, I will be in your beautiful country this October, holidaying with my darling girl, and hope to visit the Forge de St. Jouery, near Albi, where Monsieur Auriou makes those wonderful hand-crafted rasps for woodworking. I once had distant relatives living in Vimy, near Arras, which is not too far from you. Bon chance, mon ami, et salut d'Australie. Gezdog

You're right, it's true that tools are very expensive !

Thanks a lot for the link, i've noticed it's about 20% cheaper than my actual suppliers .... My wallet and my wife are saying thanks too !

Just a though for you Romain. If you are just starting out you will find tools in France are incredibly expensive! go to www.axminster.co.uk the online catalogue is obviously in English but the photography is universal and the prices for top quality stuff is moin chere. And yes they deliver to France no problem

• 1 month later...

About Axminster,

I have a few questions :

I plan to order some products and they said to me : "Carriage charges are extra (unless shown) and will be advised to you prior to shipping your order.", Is it expensive ?

And i plan to order a power tool, is it with english electrical system or not ?

About Axminster,

I have a few questions :

I plan to order some products and they said to me : "Carriage charges are extra (unless shown) and will be advised to you prior to shipping your order.", Is it expensive ?

And i plan to order a power tool, is it with english electrical system or not ?

Their usual price is around 11€ per delivery, but, if it's particularly heavy it could be more. It's difficult to say concerning the electrics but, I have had some stuff from them with a French plug. Having said that if I don't I just cut the English plug off and wire in a French one. If that worries you concerning guarantees then I wouldn't In over twenty years of using Axminster I've never had to return anything, and if I did from here I'd just take off the plug before sending it back. It is quite probable that this for the first time in over ten years I may be returning to England for Christmas. If there is anything heavy that you can wait until the New Year to have I'd be happy to collect it for you. If I go I will be going via the tunnel so I'd be right up there in the North which from memory is not too far from you. Unfortunately I cannot confirm yet if I shall be going. As soon as I know I'll let you know

Pete

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Non, je l'ai franchement étudié par moi-même en espèrant un post à Paris en informatique. Bienque j'ai un nom particulièrement français, je ne le suis point. Évidement le voisinage franco-canadien (à 4.500 km...) m'a gravement affecté.

Trop drôle... Je n'arrête pas de me tordre de rire (sérieusement)... Venant moi même des 4500km au nord, je comprends le phénomène d'aggravation....

And for the rest.... This is really too funny... the wife keep looking at me asking herself was is going on... I beleive she think that sawdust has finally clog the brains.... So keep the humour to that level and put a little "french" in your like... Always remenber that french is know as "la langue de l'amour" and to illustrate it remember one of my saying about the wine

Le vin vous fait découvrir deux choses: les caresses de l'ivresse et.... l'ivresse des caresses.

Sorry I can't really translate it with a good form