Squares, Squares, Squares

yonygg

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy new squares to my workshop and there are so many types out there - Combination squares, Try squares, Engineer's/Machinist's squares, etc..

And there are so many brands and stores to choose from..

I'm looking for precision and accuracy while keeping costs on the sane side, and I'm looking to buy it online.

What products would you choose for yourselves from all that is out there??

Great topic. I have a 4" Bridge City Universal Square that is used every single time I'm in the shop. You can't get a more accurate square: http://www.bridgecitytools.com/Products/Universal+Squares/4+Universal+Square

Another one I can't live without is a Starrett 1.5" engineer's square. It's fantastic for laying out dovetails and marking the edges of boards and small pieces. http://ecatalog.starrett.com/Default.aspx#255

And the last one I recommend is a good 4" or 6" combination square. You can't go wrong with Starrett.

My brand choice is Starrett. They are not the cheapest but they are the most consistent in their manufacture. Meaning that you will be hard pressed to take one Starrett square and another and find any difference, including it being near-perfectly square. They have huge amounts of measuring devices in a variety of disciplines (i.e. wood working, metal working, ceramics, etc.....).

But anyway, a combo square has got to be the best first measuring tool to grab. Followed maybe by machinist square, try square, and various gauges.

LQQK (who, oddly, is very not square)

I have a 6" and a 12" Starrett squares, I use the 6" much more than the 12", but since I got the 4" double square from Rockler it's pretty much my go to square for everything (unless I need something bigger). It's so handy, small and comfortable that I ended up getting a 2nd one to keep around the house. they run on sale every few months for ~$10 each. The Starretts I got off of eBay,

Wow, I agree with all three replies :) I'm in good company...

Like Purp, I use those 4" double-squares from Rockler. I got 2 at Christmas when they put them on for $9.99 (so wait; they'll be on in Sept/Oct for "back to the shop" sales). I have 2 on a magnetic bar on my vacuum so they are always at arm's reach.

I think the combo square is the most useful, for sure. Mine doesn't qualify as sanely priced. But Starrett makes excellent ones although I swear you will spend hours online figuring out which one you want. One thing I'd recommend, though, is finding one that has different rules available so you can switch rules to have a 6", 12" or 18" combination square (so 1 head, 3 rules). Long rules suck on small projects, but short rules suck on big projects.

Woodpeckers has a lot of nice T-squares, triangles, carpenter's triangles, etc. All machined out of aircraft aluminum. Not cheap, but not crazy either. I like the red :)

Now, I have the Bridge City 12" bench rule and while that's not part of the answer to your question, it is amazingly easy to read with the type of finish and laser etching. That's the same finish and etching that is on the Bridge City universal squares that Kari references. Of all dumb things people see when I stream, I've been asked about that rule each time it comes out.

That said, you can get a Swanson Speed Square for an off-key song at the big box. I have 2 that I used early on. They are accurately square and the 45° leg is dead on for both. The measurement marks, though, are too fat for anything but rough measurements.

• Like 1

Pic of the 4" double squares with a digital caliper in between (super useful for planing, btw, with a power cord... ;) )

The vacuum is in the open 10x12 area of the shop so always "in the middle"; makes easy access to those handy squares. Had Purp not mentioned it, I would have completely forgotten as they are so old-habit.

post-50-019659400 1282556160_thumb.jpg

How about making your own Wooden Try Squares?

Popular woodworking has plans for these. In addition, Adam Cherubini wrote and article in the magazine as well detailing historical models. I have made quite a few of them and find them square, easy to use. They have a wonderful wood and wood feel. Just be careful using your knife for a line cause taking a slice out will quickly make it not square.

FWIW - I wanted to mention, that I hadrly use the numbers on the squares! unless I need a precise measurements (which I never seem to need) in which I use a caliper, I always roughly estimate, so being able to clearly read the square doesn't really do much for me - I just need it to be SQUARE (or 45 in the case of the combo square - which I use to measure miters)

I only 'measure' the first piece in a project - everything after that is being matched/gauged to the first piece, so I don't do numbers - (almost) ever.

FWIW - I wanted to mention, that I hadrly use the numbers on the squares! unless I need a precise measurements (which I never seem to need) in which I use a caliper, I always roughly estimate, so being able to clearly read the square doesn't really do much for me - I just need it to be SQUARE (or 45 in the case of the combo square - which I use to measure miters)

I only 'measure' the first piece in a project - everything after that is being matched/gauged to the first piece, so I don't do numbers - (almost) ever.

I'm with PurpLev on this. About two years ago I started using referential measurements for virtually everything in the shop aside from dimensioning and initial layout. I've found my rate of mistakes has dropped off the planet by doing this. So I too rarely use the numbers on my squares and rules.

Just to offer an option if you're considering an adjustable square. SPI makes some very nice adjustable squares that in some ways aren't quite as nice as Starrett but in other was are a lot nicer. I've had a couple Starrett squares walk off when out doing workshops. I'm sure it was just a case of me leaving one on someone's work bench and they thought it was theirs in the rush to pack up at the end of the workshop. The SPI squares aren't easily confused with Starrett because they're visibly heavier without being clunky. I often use and prefer the marking on the rule of the SPI squares and the fact that their cost is about a two thirds of the Starrets is a plus. Like the Starrett squares, the cast heads of the SPI are more pleasant to work with. Here's a link to one source but I'll bet there are less expensive sources out there:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=412&PMITEM=319-3686

were money no object:

http://incra.com/product_squareangles.htm

Love their stuff.

Yeah I just missed out on it when Chris Schwartz sold his for well under new price :angry: Otherwise the double 4" is always in my apron and most used, a 6" Steel Rule Engineer Square, 6" T-Rule for most layout stuff and a 4" machinist square for tool setups. I have a combination square but to be honest it is not my go-to.

Nate

I used a Craftsman 12 inch combo for years and wondered why I couldn't get my measurements right. I know, duh. Usually the difference between an average combo and a Starrett is $20 to $30, and that made buying a Starrett worth it for me. Yeah, they're pricey, but at least you can trust that you're getting a quality square that, like Lev said, is SQUARE. I think the 12 inch is the most versatile but I do like the smaller squares. So, I have a starrett 12 inch combo and a Lee Valley 4 inch double. The lee Valley 4 inch is the cat's a** but sometimes a little small, so a Starrett 6 inch will be going on the Christmas list this year.

although I swear you will spend hours online figuring out which one you want.

It looks like you are absolutely right - I think I'm going to spend at least few hours online figuring which one I'll buy with all the different recommendations here, not counting the shopping time..

Have you considered adding Japanese squares (sashigane) to your want list?

I think I'm going to go for few Japanese saws first, but thanks for the info - I didn't even know about the existence of these squares. I'll research it in the future..

Can you give me/us some more info about these Japanese squares?

I used a Craftsman 12 inch combo for years and wondered why I couldn't get my measurements right. I know, duh. Usually the difference between an average combo and a Starrett is $20 to $30, and that made buying a Starrett worth it for me. Yeah, they're pricey, but at least you can trust that you're getting a quality square that, like Lev said, is SQUARE. I think the 12 inch is the most versatile but I do like the smaller squares. So, I have a starrett 12 inch combo and a Lee Valley 4 inch double. The lee Valley 4 inch is the cat's a** but sometimes a little small, so a Starrett 6 inch will be going on the Christmas list this year.

The combo square that I currently have is an old Craftsman, and its CRAPPY! it moves roughly around 85 degrees and 95 degrees. That's one of the motivations I had for buying new REAL squares.

I think I'm going to get at least one Starret combo despite the price. Too many people here recommended their products so I think saving few $$ on it is not worthy.

And it also looks like I'm going to wait for the Christmas's sales..

If you get to see any sale for squares please share it with us here.

I'll post my purchases here when I make them, and until then I'd love to hear more thoughts and recommendations about squares.

BTW - Some of the best advise I got on squares (ok most layout tools) is to do the following:

Once you get a true square test your other squares and if there are issues - toss them - it is not worth a project to pick up a convienent square only to find out later it wasn't.

Also, test your rules against a base accurate rule. It is amazing to me how many rules do not agree with one another - some are off by 1/8"

So I know Purp and I recommended the Rockler 4" double square. I mentioned I had two (which was actually an accident to get two, but...) Whenever I do drawer slide installs, I use both to set the position of the slides. That they are only 4" makes them work better than any combo square.

I just thought of mentioning that cuz I'm installing drawer slides right now :)

Personally, my go-to squares are the Starrett 12" combination(get the forged head satin nickel blade version) and their 6" double square. Except for maybe the Bridge City there just aren't any squarer.

I'm pretty fond of the Woodpeckers 32" T-square as well.

My $.02 worth FWIW,

Bill