Laguna 10" Jointer/Planer

DeanJackson

Bought the Laguna 10" combo Jointer/Planer, with the spherical cutterhead. I wanted something 4' long (tops) as a jointer, and nothing was in that size range. Ideally, I wanted 8" or wider.

My wallet wept.

But damn, this is doing a great job on surfacing wood, and I get back the space my lunchbox planer (and base) was taking up before. Machine works well, was setup properly, and again, does a great job on the wood without tearout.

9/10. The fence is meh, but the machine it's sitting on is *great*.

I've never owned a benchtop, but have operated one several times. The biggest differences are movement of the wood into bit vice drilling down and the bit operation- auger vs hollow chisel, so you do end up with some chisel work for traditional m&t's. I liked P-M's "Poor man's multi-router comparison, but a better comparison is a fixed domino cutter since you are really supposed to use floating tenons (I have used it in conjunction with traditional tenons with comfortable success). Big pieces of wood can be a challenge. The cutting operation goes very quickly and is accurate if you don't have any material slippage (you'll learn that lesson inevitably). I am still sorting out dust collection strategies - lots of dust and chips. Right now I use a big gulp.

IMHO, you will get tighter, precision tolerances with a task-dedicated benchtop and jigs for traditional woodworking. Laguna uses proprietary bits, so you pay the price and have no other options. I have had no need to push tight tolerances with the work I do, so a bolt-on mortiser saved me bench space and the price was nice since I made the initial investment with the combo machine. Floating tenons can be very forgiving!

Hope this helps. Good luck and keep the chips flying!

• 8 months later...

I just bought the Laguna Platinum Series 10" Jointer/Planer Combination Machine. It arrived on the 15th of August. It's now Saturday, and yesterday I realized the fence was un-installable. It is just now that I realized that is because something is off. The case or something is actually up above the level of the jointer bed, and because of this the fence dovetail bracket won't screw in level, and the tilt is so severe that the fence will only travel a few inches before it drives into the bed and gets wedged and stuck. Anybody else have this issue? I'm supposed to be getting a call back from Laguna on Monday. Hope they do.

I just bought the Laguna Platinum Series 10" Jointer/Planer Combination Machine. It arrived on the 15th of August. It's now Saturday, and yesterday I realized the fence was un-installable. It is just now that I realized that is because something is off. The case or something is actually up above the level of the jointer bed, and because of this the fence dovetail bracket won't screw in level, and the tilt is so severe that the fence will only travel a few inches before it drives into the bed and gets wedged and stuck. Anybody else have this issue? I'm supposed to be getting a call back from Laguna on Monday. Hope they do.

Look for damage on the packaging and also take photographs. Sounds like it may have been dropped in transit.

Please keep us in the loop on your progress with Laguna. They are great folks on the front end sales, but have not quite achieved world class level on their customer service.

I've actually been looking at the Laguna 12" planer/jointer combo but the guys at Canadian Wood Worker seem to be pretty intent in steering me away from it. According to them it's not CSA approved and they can't get one into Canada and they're also saying the Laguna is no good. I don't know if there's any truth to that, does anyone else know. They seem to be trying to steer me over to a 12" Casadei which of course is more expensive. To me it sounds like they're just upsell me, anyone have input on this?

A couple things I didn't like about the Laguna were the direction the tables tilted, towards the front instead of to the back and the lower horsepower motor. I bought the Hammer 12" instead. Been very happy with it. After using it for a few board feet I thought something was wrong when some boards were not going through the thicknesser easily. Problem was my blades were dull. Could have happened on any machine.

I've actually been looking at the Laguna 12" planer/jointer combo but the guys at Canadian Wood Worker seem to be pretty intent in steering me away from it. According to them it's not CSA approved and they can't get one into Canada and they're also saying the Laguna is no good.

Seems fishy, seeing as it's listed on their website:

https://www.canadianwoodworker.com/webstore/wecs.php?store=canadianwood&action=display&target=PPJ12HC

• 5 years later...

I can't believe Google found this post I commented on almost six years ago.  It kind of scares me, because it seems as if not much has been said on the subject since this post.  Anyway, I was wondering if anybody else who purchased the 10" jointer/planer combo has any solutions as to the fence.  Any workarounds to it not being square, or generally just sucking?  Is there an aftermarket for this kind of thing?  And by the way, I don't remember the events in particular regarding my comment about my fence being "uninstall-able" but that issue is resolved.  I have used the machine many times since then, and I definitely figured out how to mount the fence to the machine, but it definitely isn't square.  I have had to shim the heck out of it.  Now, we're talking minimal amounts, but definitely noticeable.  No bueno.