Unique Hall Table

simeond

I am moving from Greene and Greene to Nakashima. I think what Mr. Nakashima did was to understand what is the Architectural Intent. If you want to display that beautiful slab, then the base has to be very quiet and not compete with the top.

As I say this, I have to also tell you that is easier to critique than to create. Great job with the bow ties.

Architectural Intent ... in writing would be the story ...

Another thing, pay attention to what George Walker mentioned in an article and he mentioned rhythm. Whatever proportion you like to use for the top, try to repeat it for the sides, for the height and width, etc.

The proportions don't have to be necessarily the golden ratio, whatever you like to use as a ratio, try to repeat as much as you can.

I write all of this because is the critique room and the spirit is to provide information for more confusion (or info if you will ... )

I love that slab. Great job.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Very nice work. This is indeed a unique approach to using a beautiful piece of wood. I really really like this design - the slab top with the natural edge, the floated top, how the base follows the natural geometry of the top (wider on the 'left' and narrower on the 'right', the contrast of the round, natural edges of the wood with the sharper geometry of the base. You took an ambitious approach to bringing together natural forms and harder geometry.

I do have some thoughts, though. The main one is using maple on the side stretchers and the choice to make them curved. I felt like you were onto something with the upward angle of the back stretcher and my eye would have liked to see this continued more in the side stretchers, using walnut (or a species that contrasts less) and subtler curves if any curves at all. Either that or subtler curves on the sides and adding a slight curve on the back stretcher.

For your treatment of the top, I like the concept of the 'river' to fill the crack and how you mirrored the natural front edge with your own shaping on the back edge. For the 'river' though, I feel again like the maple provides more contrast than necessary, making the line sharper than it needs to be. Perhaps a different species, something that still contrasts the walnut but not as much - cherry, rosewood? For the back edge, your curves work really well, but the point swinging out at the end is too sharp for my eye. Perhaps a rounded end instead of a point?

Please understand, these comments are all meant in the spirit of design critique not as criticism. I wouldn't have commented here if I didn't like what you did. I really think this is a very strong piece and an innovative design and your execution is great. The piece works for me and you should be really proud of it. These are just a few thoughts for possible approaches on similar projects in the future. Really really nice work.

• 3 weeks later...

All: thank you for all the comments. I love that this is truly a critique room, where the comments engender thought and discussion! The piece was finished and delivered. I'

Woodlight: thank you for your comment an critique. Interestingly, after finishing, the walnut/maple contrast was even more extreme... And I had a similar thought as you that it was perhaps too much. I actually also agree about the "pointy" cut edge. Originally, the walnut was supposed to "engulf the maple" but then, where did the river "come from???" about the stretchers, I do agree that there is something off there, but I'm not sure it's as you propose. I wanted to carry the accent woodnof the "river" into another aspect of the piece. But in this case the maple wasnt just a color accent, it was a thematic accent, "river." so it seemed right to carry both the color and the thematic accent to the strechers. That said, Im not satisfied with the result. But I don't know what the better alternative should have been.

Anyhow, terribly grateful for all your comments! I just finished another "free-wheelin" hall table that I'll post soon.