Another end grain cutting board

Dan S

I finished this bad boy late Thursday evening. Little did I know that it was just in the nick of time, because the future family member I was making it came to visit sooner than i was expecting. It's made from Purpleheart & hard Maple. For those that are interested I posted a video of the build on my blog, along with some CBdesigner sample files.

post-818-025963900 1283042500_thumb.jpg

I really enjoyed watching your video of making this board on your blog. I've made many cutting boards, but find it always interesting watching another person's technique. I'd suggest strongly that you consider using a push block while running your stock across your jointer. It scared me to see how close your fingers came to the blades when you were moving your wood through. I'm sure there are things that I do in my shop that would make a person pause and wonder why I didn't do that process in a safer manner. Please don't take my comment as a criticism. I'm only offering friendly advice. :)

I really liked your video and learned a new technique for the glue up.

Thanks for making it!

I finished this bad boy late Thursday evening. Little did I know that it was just in the nick of time, because the future family member I was making it came to visit sooner than i was expecting. It's made from Purpleheart & hard Maple. For those that are interested I posted a video of the build on my blog, along with some CBdesigner sample files.

post-818-025963900 1283042500_thumb.jpg

Nice video, Dan. I'm with Kegger...be sure to get in the habit of using push blocks. You may NEVER have a blowout, but all it takes is one and there go your fingers.

Nice work. I hope to make one of those one day. Thats a cool video.

Can I use pine and black walnut to make a end grain cutting board?

Thats realy some nice work..

I would try to find something other than Pine to use for a cutting board. It is pretty soft and the end grain is pretty porous. Youmight want to find a hardwood. If you are looking for something that is going to be very light like the pine, think about Maple..

Can I use pine and black walnut to make a end grain cutting board?

Thats realy some nice work..

I've heard of walnut being used, but never pine.

What type of push sticks/pads does everyone use on the pointer? I think the main reason I don't use my push pads all the time,is that I feel less safe using them, as they never seem to grip well.

I have the standard paddle thingies that came with my Jointer, BUT i also picked this up at Lee Valley.

It comes with two rubber surfaces, one that is flat for table saws etc, and with that is grooved on a 45 that makes it really good for the jointer when jointing sides, or even the router table. It applies downward and back pressure.

And I definitely wouldn't use pine in a cutting board, far too soft.

I've got a Gripper set, but am I the only one that finds that without constant cleaning, even those get slippery after a bit?

But yeah, if the push blocks you have don't feel safe, you could always make some custom ones out of scrap to exactly fit what you're planing, especially if you are doing the same operation over and over again.

I've got a Gripper set, but am I the only one that finds that without constant cleaning, even those get slippery after a bit?

That's the issue I have with the pads I use. They work ok if I wipe them down with MS, but after a few boards they need to be cleaned again. The only way I have ever gotten my pads to grip well, is to really bare down on them, and that kind of defeats the purpose of the joiner.

Has anyone made a push pad out of an old mouse pad, or the non-skid rubber shelf liners that are used in restaurants or in tool-chests? Maybe you could pull off the smooth rubber pad and replace it. Before I got my Grrr-ripper I was planning to make some sacrificial pads for zero clearance pushing on through cuts.

Has anyone made a push pad out of an old mouse pad, or the non-skid rubber shelf liners that are used in restaurants or in tool-chests? Maybe you could pull off the smooth rubber pad and replace it. Before I got my Grrr-ripper I was planning to make some sacrificial pads for zero clearance pushing on through cuts.

The rubber on the Grripper is fairly similar. The problem doesn't seem to be the rubber itself, but rather the dust it seems to collect from the shop or from the machine when you use them. After a while the dust coats the surface and no more stick. I got the little hook adapter thing (standard on the new sets) and that of course helps on the tablesaw, but of course that would be bad news for the jointer. I think it's probably the same problem for any kind of rubber though.

I don't have one, so can't be sure. If the dust sticks because of static electricity, you can cure that by wiping down the rubber with a very dilute solution of liquid fabric softener and let it dry (i.e., don't wipe it all off).

My floor mats used to have dust cling to them due to the slight static charge on them. Mopped them with a bucket of water with a shot of liquid fabric softener and, voilà, the dust doesn't stick. Effect lasts for months on floor mats (some of my cheaper mats are made of the same foam many push pads are). Wiped down a metal upright tool cabinet with the same water since dust clings everywhere on it. Fixed. Really had to do that today as I did drywall in there yesterday :(

Has anyone got the cbdesigner program to run in windows 7? I tried but Im having errors that have to do with the comdlg32.ocx file. I cant get it registered.. anyone else have any issues with this?

That program is just what I was looking for too... I hope I can get it to run!

it's running fine for me in 7, all I had to do was download it and run it.

Has anyone got the cbdesigner program to run in windows 7? I tried but Im having errors that have to do with the comdlg32.ocx file. I cant get it registered.. anyone else have any issues with this?

That program is just what I was looking for too... I hope I can get it to run!

How are you registering it? RegSrv32? If anything, try using RegSrv32 from a command prompt in the directory of the OCX to see any error message that may help; likely is a permissions issue. If you aren't running as an admin account, run the command prompt as the administrator to do the registration. I seem to remember some limitations on how an OCX or any COM class can register having to do with a user's home directory and registering for all users (meaning Bob could instantiate a COM class in Alice's tree). I could be imagining that part, but I seem to remember that at one point. That said, if the above fails, is comdlg32.ocx in, say, your documents or download directory? or is it in Program Files or Windows?

I've run and developed on all but Windows 7 so I'm not familiar with the programmatic security changes with that release.