new to turning

vig129

I just bought an old lathe from a friend and would like to start turning. Does anyone have any suggestions on what chisels i should start with , I would like turn bowls and some spindals.I would like to stay in the middle with price . It came with a faceplate and some craftsman chisels that dont look to bad.

Thanks

vig129

I second that. Faceshield is #1 purchase. frankly, I don't even care if it is the $16 kind, just get something in front of your face before you turn it on. Until you are able to understand the what, why and how that causes something to come flying off the lathe, you need to think safety first. Then, once you understand it, you will know why you want safety first.

Don't worry, they aren't cumbersome at all. I've actually tapped my shield iwth my hand trying to scratch my face forgetting I was wearing it.

After that, no loose clothing, especially sleeves.

After that, get some gouges and go have fun!

I'll third that. Faceshield is a must.

As for sharpening, get a grinder set up, and get a jig (imho). Set things up so it's easy to sharpen your tools so that you don't try working with dull chisels, as that's unsafe, and no fun.. Working with good sharp tools is such a pleasure..

For the chisels themselves, one school of thought is to start with cheap, even old carbon steel chisels as it forces you to sharpen more often :). Also means that you won't cry (as much) when you mangle your tool a bunch of times on the grinder and quickly find yourself with no steel left. Once you find the type of tool you like, then you can look to buying a 'premium' of whatever that is (gouge, scraper, carbide cutter, etc..).

In any case, welcome to the brotherhood :)

Thanks everyone ! I do have a faceshield and I wear it with my safety glasses . I just ordered some chisels and cant wait to start turning . I am also going to to build a jig for my grinder so i get consistent bevels. The video Roger has was very helpful and i learned a lot.

vig129

• 3 weeks later...

I an new to turning also and just wanted to say sharpening is key if everything is sharp then the turning is effortless, but I hate sharpening so while I am learning and getting better at it, I bought a full set of the easy wood tools with the changeable carbide replacement tips. They last at least 10 times longer than my high speed steel chisels and the price was a lot less than most and did I mention they cut like a dream.

A small lathe is something I"ve been wanting to play with...

A good friend of mine gave me a couple of the Easy Wood Turning tools that have removable and replaceable carbide cutting tools...

Here's an article on them

http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/wood-turning-is-fun-again/

I'll let you know when I get the shop straightened out and can put them to the test...