black oak

Brian VanVreede

A day late as I join this discussion. Did you end up going with a pore filler?

My thought would have been to skip the pore filler. When folks like the Pottery Barn look of a black piece of wood, they think they like the look of the grain. All they actually see is the three dimensional texture of a ring porous wood. The "wood" could be stamped, injection molded plastic; but it's the texture that people like and pore filler would eliminate this.

As long as you do just a thin coat that doesn't build to the point of filling that texture, you can go with simple black paint. Client will be happy and you're spared the a.) expense of India ink or b.) fuss of vinegar and rusty nails.

Good hunting.

the customer doesn't want cerused oak.,they just want black but I still bought some timbermate so that I can practice on some samples.

I thought about just using paint but I don't want to obscure the grain. Should I thin the paint or just apply straight from the can?

Definitely thin the paint.

Regardless of how you get there (stain, dye, paint, vinegar & nails) at color values that are that dark, you are obscuring the grain. As woodworkers, we have a Pavlovian panic reflex every time we see "obscure" and "grain" in the same sentence; but normal folks don't share this sentiment. Witness the popularity of the black "stained" oak look in modern production furniture.

What you need in this kind of finish is to play with what photographers call "specular highlights". Each of the pores on the surface is a tiny concave divot. When clear coated with a semi-gloss or even a satin, they reflect light differently, either a.) highlighting the pores when the angle of view shows the overall surface as dark or b.) reflecting less light when the overall surface is reflecting more light. No matter where you stand, you have a black surface that gives the impression of revealing the wood's grain.

Not spraying.

Sanded the test boards only to 150 by hand. I tried applying the mixol directly to the board and still couldn't get it black. I think I am expecting to much from the dye... we will do a test board with paint and one with the rusty nail solution.

Your not expecting to much out of dye. Your expecting to much out of hand finishing. Try getting it as black as you can with dye. Spray some shellac out of a rattle can to seal it. Tint polyacrylic with 20% wb ebony stain.

Normally it would be a piece of cake. Dye the wood black and seal, then tint with just a little black dye mixed into a qt of lacquer thinner with 2 oz of precat to tint to even the blackest of blacks.

Don