Under Desk Footstool

sbarton22

This was a Xmas present I made for my wife. She is a bit short of stature and her feet never quite sit comfortably on the floor at work. She requested a short little foot stool to solve the problem.

The design intent was to be a very contemporary form. It has a slight angle in lieu of making a pivoting top (I had to guess the angle so as not to ruin the surprise). It main idea was to create the illusion of a floating surface that, at first glance, one might wonder how it was even staying together because of the gaps....think the teeth of a comb but without the spine to hold it in place. The feet were inset a bit and born of the same form as the top so they don't look as separate objects but an organic extension of the top.

As for the actual woodworking aspect, there isn't anything groundbreaking here. It is obviously just 3/4" baltic birch glued up in layers. It was the first time I used a pattern and my router table with a pattern bit to create all the components. I actually really dig the look of layered ply and this was my first piece made that way. It has 10+ layers of GF water based premium finish. It has a very nice satin sheen. The gaps were harder to finish than I thought a wipe on product might be. It is the first time I started to think seriously about a sprayer.

It is about 12" x 16" x 8"....more or less.

Sorry the photography isn't up to my normal quality. These were taken while the finish was drying and I haven't set up the photo tent since then to shoot more product.

Let me know what you think.

scott

post-3878-0-48527400-1329624319_thumb.jp

post-3878-0-03705500-1329624323_thumb.jp

post-3878-0-61462100-1329624326_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...