20" african mahogany

t3e871

I am currently building a "keezer" (google it) and wanted to use walnut. I went to the lumber yard to pick out about 50 BF and couldn't find enough wide boards in walnut so I started looking at the african mahogany. It was $1 BF less than walnut and a better selection of boards.

I picked up this 20" wide 4/4 slab while digging around. My keezer project does not require anything this wide, so I need some suggestions on what project would best use this WIDE board...

I need to build a dining table that will be in the same room as the keezer, so I may use it there.

post-768-0-13910900-1329658819_thumb.jpg

I think the bigger Q is what kind of Brew-Ha are you going to put in there!!?? Only thing that would be icing on the cake is Home Brew!! Honestly, I dont see why you can't use this piece; unless you don't have to straighten / flatten the board it will probably come out to the dimensions you need.. Just speculating here.. When you have it finished, I am a certified Keezer tester; just so you know :P

I use a lot of african mahogany; beautiful wood! Looking forward to more pics as thing progress!

dont shure where you are puting this "keezer" but if its for a home bar/ or for sale at a bar then you have forgoten one thing. the bar itself seems like you should have a counter/bar top that you can server beer at while talking to your buddies so i think you should make something like a side boards that you can serve your beer over and store mugs and snacks and what not.

Boatworks, I have almost brewed my legal limit of 100 gallons this winter. I have about 50g left; everything from light pilsner to oatmeal stout. If you're ever around Dallas look me up - I always appreciate feedback on my brews.

duckkisser, I was able to convince my wife that I need this in our dining room, and the condition was only if I build a matching dining room table for her. I also have to get my 5 gallon kegs out of the garage fridge so she can store extra groceries out there. For now it will be against a wall and not an actual "bar" that you serve over, but walk "up to" and self serve. I'll post me sketchup plans when I get it cleaned up a little, but I have plans to build shelves and cabinets for either side and a wine holder above.

I started milling up the mahogany yesterday and I really like the wood so far. It did reveal a lot of color variance that I wasn't expecting, but the project should look really nice. I'll post progress here as I have not seen any other "keezer" projects posted here!

• 4 months later...

My supplier regularly gets 16+" wide afr mahagony boards. Last year for a project, I picked up a 22" wide by 12' long board. No panel glue ups for me! He has stated that it is very common for wide boards in African Mahogany, so common that they don't charge a wide premium for them. I was shocked, but hey who am I to complain?

It works very well with machine and hand tools. You do have to be careful with switchback grain tearing out with the jointer and planer. You can avoid this by taking the very last passes very lightly. Everynow and then, you get a a piece with nice chatoyance. If you're putting a clear finish on it, look for this in selecting your show pieces.

I snagged a 21 inch by 9 ft plank of 5/4 real mahogany years ago. It is going to be headboard in a king size 4 poster bed whenever I make time for one of my personal projects instead of clients, friends, and family. You know, cobblers kids and all that....