crosscut sled

linkmx674

A little bit of cup, depending on how bad it is could result in not square cuts. Ideally you are going to want it as flat as possible. Hopefully when you attach the front and back of the sled, it will help to flatten it out. You may have to play around a little. If you run the little bit of cup going front to back, then the front and back pieces might straighten it out a little better than if you ran the cup going side to side.

I'd say that you should make your crosscut sled as perfect as you possibly can, because it will affect everything you use it for forever after. IMO the best material for a crosscut sled is particle board with plastic laminate (Formica) on both surfaces. Particle board is flat and stable to begin with, but not so heavy as MDF. Then the plastic laminate will make it slick and easy to maintain, and will also help make it stay flat for the same reasons that a torsion box stays flat. In short, I wouldn't mess around with a curly piece of plywood if I were you.

-- Russ

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I wanted to start a new topic about crosscut sleds until I read this post.

I hope it is O.K. to post it here.

I've got another problem with my saw. It is a Ryobi contractor saw and I am quit happy with it.

I just recently purchase it because the Emco Star table is way to small.

It is now more a lathe than anything else.

The problem I have is that the blade is to near to the front of the Ryobi saw table.

I noticed that on professional table saw's, the blade is further to the middle or 3/4 to the end.

I think that is because of the size of the table saw versus the contractor saw.

How do I construct a crosscut sled on my contractor saw?

I will get real issues from tipping the crosscut sled of balance towards me, if I make it the regular way.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Johan

I'd make longer runners for your sled. For example, they could protrude 10" in front of the sled, but still continue on to the back of the sled. If you miter slots are T shaped, screw a few washers in there to hook the T and help prevent tipping. I did something similar on a previous saw with good results.