Polyurethane before cutting dadoes???

farmbag72

I am building an open cabinet of sorts to help organize knick-knacks, widgets & whatchamacallits in my shop. Several of the cubbies are going to be bit on the small side to finish once I assemble. Could I cut plywood pieces to size, polyurethane aall pieces & THEN cut dadoes? I'm wondering if the poly might gum up my dado set or router bit depending on which way I choose to cut dadoes.

I asked the same thing on another woodworking forum & was given advise but my concern about dado set/router bit gum-up wasn't answered.

I wouldn't hesitate to machine pre-finished parts, if the poly is cured. My 'test' is usually to lightly sand the poly - if it is cured, it results in a nice fine powder that shows the poly is cured. I do not thing that would cause any problem with gumming or clogging.

Just a caution if you do pre-finish. Finishes don't reach optimum hardness until fully cured. Remember, fully cured is not dry to the touch, fully cured is the chemistry doing its thing inside the finish. So if a finish is dry to the touch, the finish could still be soft inside and be susceptible to easier scratching. The longer you can wait, the better. :);)

Just a caution if you do pre-finish. Finishes don't reach optimum hardness until fully cured. Remember, fully cured is not dry to the touch, fully cured is the chemistry doing its thing inside the finish. So if a finish is dry to the touch, the finish could still be soft inside and be susceptible to easier scratching. The longer you can wait, the better. :);)

Good tip Ace! I Didn't think to mention that.

I often prefinish panels (both plywood and solid wood) before machining. This is especially useful for the interior parts. It also has other benefits such as less tearout when cutting dados and easier cleanup of glue squeezeout. I usually do a couple of coats of Arm-R-Seal and let it cure for a couple of days.

My only caution is to mask off any areas where I want glue to stick such as the ends of shelves that go into the dados.

I've never done what you are suggesting but, I don't see a problem with it. My only concern would be marring up the finish while doing the cutting of the dado's. I usually do all machine work including sanding and then line the dado's with blue painters tape before finishing to keep a fairly clean glue surface for assembly. Obviously there is no ONE way to do anything.......just my way and your way. :)

Rog

Using a zero clearance throat plate when cutting the dado's helps prevent chip out. I have taped the cut lines with blue tape as well, then cut thru them. Finish really has to be dry and cured. I always finish some scraps using the same steps and number of coats whenever I finish something. Test for dryness and quality of cut on the scraps, it keeps fingerprints and miss-cuts out of your good parts.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. Unfortunately, the project this question was for has been slid to "the back of the line". My wife & I are expecting our first child (a boy!!) in July & I have to get the nursery finished before I can do anything else for me in the shop. I MIGHT be able to squeeze out a toy truck while I wait for drywall mud to cure in a few weeks. Thanks again!!