What makes a Roubo a Roubo?

I plan on incorporating the split top Roubo design, dog holes, tail and leg vises into a fairly massive rolling tool storage/workbench, mainly due to space restraints, and was wondering what people thought makes a Roubo a Roubo? Is there any specific design or functional elements that they consider necessary for a bench to be a Roubo?

I'd say what makes a Roubo a Roubo is:

1. the top, legs, and rails flush to each other

2. A leg vise

3. Thickness on everything. Beef, beef, and more beef.

I'd say that a leg vise is optional. The bench from the famous "Plate 11" (http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/workbenches/free-wallpaper-of-roubos-plate-11) did not feature a leg vise, only a crochet.

I'd also add to the list that the top should be of consistant thickness across the slab(s). No aprons like the Nicholson bench.

To start with, Roubo says to make the top out of a single monolithic slab. Apparently you are supposed to mill this using a long 2-man saw with one man standing well above the other man using a large scaffolding structure. That should be simple enough. :-)

I think that Fig 3 and 4 of the workbench etching shows a leg vise, but perhaps that was the equivlent of an optional accessory in Roubo's day...:-)

The 2x2x12 friction-fit planing stop is authentic Roubo, if not standard. I'm not even going to consider this until I have developed more skill.

In addition to the long row of dog holes, there are a few zig-zag dog holes along the back.

It may also be worth noting what is NOT mentioned for a Roubo - tool tray, under-the-bench cabinet (though one etching I've seen shows drawers mounted below the shelf). The deadman is not on the plate either, but Schwarz says it is authentic Roubo, as is the more-than-intimidating sliding dovetail and through tenon leg/top attachment.

The best way to know for sure will be to read the long awaited English translation that Lost Art Press is currently working on. The first volume of Roubo's work "To Make As Perfectly As Possible" is slated to be out later this year.