16" Grizzly Band saw

Brian VanVreede

So my brother and I are looking into getting a band saw and I came across a 16" Grizzly for $250 on Craigslist. I read some good things. The only problem I see is that grizzly discontinued it (one review stated that this is because it will last forever) anyone have any experience with this model?

nice thing is band saws are so simple that its hard to realy break one you have to practicly leave it out side for a winter and even then with alot of work it can be fixed. its just two pully wheels and a motor soooo figure out if its in good shape and then buy it but a 16 incher sounds nice to me.

Definitely snag that. I'd love to have a bigger table. I love my Rikon. It's got 12" resaw capacity, but I DO wish I had more table space. I may end up getting a second one and set it up for larger flat work.

nice if you find blade's stock up i bet they are eather pricy or hard to come by and probably only a few companies make em. 16 seems like a odd size but i dont realy know. as i have only seen 14 and 20s in the biger sizes.

Most good bandsaw blade companies can make a blade any length you want, so you don't really have to worry about that too much.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice. I almost bought the same model from a guy in Laguna Hills last summer. I was turned off though when I got to his place and saw the bottom blade guides were broken off and there was no dust port. It is a good size though. 2HP motor and a 10" resaw capacity for $250 can't really be beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

The problem I have had was the guide bracket broke and I was able to get new ones at Grizzly and they were remade with steel instead of the weak metal they used on the old ones. Machine is close to at least 25 years old maybe older, I bought new and works perfectly.

• 5 months later...

I just picked this same model up 3days ago. And also broke the upper barring/guide assembly that fits 1” bar.  Mine does not have model# on plate. Pretty sure it’s G1538. It’s got a broken trunnion shoe and missing bolts for eye bolts that hold motor mount plate. 

Waiting on grizzly email for part#? But if anyone can help I’d appreciate it. 

Table Trunnion shoe

Upper barring/guide assembly that attaches to post

im sure I can find bolts but would like to know how motor should hang for tunning/vibration