My First Workbench

Neadom Tucker

Ok so I have been reading the forums and wanted to start a discussion on Workbenches for a garage. I am new to wood working. I really enjoy the work and love the finished product. My garage is a mess and I am working on cleaning it up to make my first shop. I have a few issues and this is why I am asking the question... What is the best workbench for a beginner wood worker.

My Setup:

Small Two Car Garage

The first 10 feet are "level"

The last 10-12 feet taper down for drainage

My thought is that the work bench would go on the level section. This makes the most since. But then I have a 10" X 25" space for my work bench and other tools. Which of all them are bench tools except for my floor drill press.

I am just getting started and I believe in buying a tool once but I know that i am not going to take this up as a profession. My project will range from:

Built-in Cabinets

Dining Room Table

Chairs

Smaller Projects

Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions. Also a good book to get me started would be great. I know Marc is working on the bench in the Guild but I wanted to ask the question if that is my best option.

Regards,

Neadom

Vic, Is the Roubo bench a project a beginning wood worker can build?

Neadom, can you tell us what tools you already have. Knowing what you have to work with will Be a major factor in what you should build to start with.

Also as far as your garage not being level. I have seen many benches with leveling feet on them. To Compensate for the very same problem you have.

I build a lot of cabinets and larger pieces myself. For stuff like that I really like to work on a larger work surface... Especially built in cabinets due to their height sometimes. My benches are 42"x72 and 48" x 96". For cabinets I would think the smallest you want to go with is 30" x 48" any smaller than that and there is no room for any tools while you work.

Well, my view may be skewed, as I believe you can do whatever you set your mind to. Also, any project Marc shows is truly a beginner project, because he breaks it down into steps. Each pieces is very manageable. My first furniture project was featured in Fine Woodworking. I had done construction prior to that, but mostly it was just a belief that I could do the project. Yes, there are always time of doubt or "freaking out" that you're in above your head, but ultimately, it's all just steps toward the finish line. But, my answer is a resounding YES. This can be done by a beginner. I believe many of the participants in the Guild build are using a much smaller set of tools than I own. I'm lucky enough to have built quite a nice shop.

Vic I am of the same mindset! I can do ANYTHING I put my mind to.

But clarkkent to your question my tools are as follows:

Dewalt contractors table saw (I got started and then realized i needed something bigger. But so far it has helped me build some decent things.)

Bosch router combo set

Palm sander

Drill press

Cordless Drills

A few clamps

Skil saw

I am sure do not have all the right tools and that is the other reason I asked the question. I am just starting to build my tools up and figured I would do it project to project. But I find the few project I have been working I need more space to camp or tweak or whatever.

Neadom

the basic tools are usualy table saw, jointer, planer, bandsaw withthose 4 tools you can build most stuff. table saw for cuting, jointer and planer is a must since most wood you get from the store is warped or rough sawn lumber and a square starting stock is essential to a square finished project especialy if you building cabinets or tables. band saw for riping down larger stock to smaller stock. then plan on things like scroll saws, lathes, drum sanders ect.......

Hi Neadom,

I'm in a similar situation as you. I plan to start building my workbench in May and have run the gambit on design choices - it's never ending. My power tool options are more limited than yours, but I don't see that as impeding my build at all. I'm relying more on hand tools and expect it to take longer as a result. Besides, the original Roubo was built entirely with hand tools.

This will be my first major project, so I'm approaching it primarily as a learning experience and a way to develop my skills - what project isn't, right? To echo Vic and duckkisser, clamps. clamps, clamps. As far as a book recommendation, Christopher Schwarz's "Workbenches: From Design And Theory To Construction And Use" is a favorite of many.

Good luck!

It depends on how much time and money you want to spend, the first couple shops that I set up the bench was two saw horses, and a solid core door. Now that I'm in my dream shop I've built a Roubo, and like it very much, so my point being there are many ways you can go depending on what your priorities are. Sounds like a new table saw is more of a priority. Dave

I think that you will benefit from having a Roubo, and building it yourself. First, you will learn a ton, as have I (also a new woodworker and my first project with the guild). Second, you will actually SAVE space by having what Christopher Schwarz refers to as "the ultimate three dimensional clamping surface". Third, your skills will improve a lot, due to the scale of this project. Each step is massive, and so even "simple" steps require a lot of repetition. You'll find yourself really improving along the way. Fourth, the benefit of Marc's videos and the guild forum is like a "lecture vs lab" at university. You get the formal instruction, then you hash out the details later with your peeps. All in all, I echo what Vic has to say - I sometimes felt in over my head, but not really. Like you, I put my mind to these things, and know that if I take it slow and be patient and deliberate, it all works out. Now I stand here and can't believe I built something this cool! Good luck to you!

While I have no doubt that a Roubo is an amazing bench, something like this just wouldn`t have worked for me when I built me first bench last year. It would have been way too expensive, I didn`t have all the tools (and still don`t) and there would of been the problem of needing a workbench in order to build a workbench.

I built this:http://www.startwoodworking.com/getting-started/season-two

It a very simple bench you can built on the garage floor with a circular saw and a drill. Knock down construction but heavy enough to not wobble. The top is two pieces of MDF laminated together.

Someday I will build a Roubo or something like it - a bench to last a lifetime. Not last year though - I just wanted a damn bench so I could start making some projects.

Well, my view may be skewed, as I believe you can do whatever you set your mind to.

I agree completely with Vic. My Roubo was the second major project I ever made, and I did it mainly with hand tools.

I don't think I was able to do this because I'm some sort of woodworking genius. I think I was able to do this because I thought that I could.

IMG_5113.JPG

wish there was a class in the area about building a bunch like this marc is great to put this out there but still would like to spend a weekend with a group of people and nock it out together.

wilbur is that your shop looks realy nice if you like hand tools :) looks like you planes are all home made like to learn more about that as im geting into a home made tools kick. thinking of making some

carving tools and a mallet.

I pretty much agree with the concept of once you set your mind to something you can basically do it. Having said that I also believe that there are times a guy needs to be practical when making certain decisions. Such as building a Roubo bench.

Can a guy build one with all hand tools only. Yes absolutely! But do you want to? You have to consider the sheer volume of work when doing everything by hand. If knowing how much work it is and your up to the challenge then by all means go for it.

Can a guy build a Roubo using power tools... Most assuredly! Yes! However your going to need certain tools like Neadom said. First and foremost is a planer that will handle the stock you are going to work with. Then there is the question of the jointer. How are you going to machine your first edge square? Well the obvious solution to that problem is the jointer.

Can you do those two things with hand tools... Yes... But geez what an insane amount of work. If your like me(being lazy) I am always looking for the best way to get something done while maintaining good quality with the absolute least amount of work. There is enough hand tool work on a Roubo bench outside of machining your stock to still have tons of practice.

Neadom I have one of the same saws you have. I have built many projects using that saw. Your right though it does have its limitations. Especially when cutting thick hardwood. Still... After 5 years if I set the fence on 3" it cuts 3". What more can you ask for.

Now as for the cost of a Roubo... I can't imagine a guy building it for less than 800 dollars using cheap hardware. Closer to 1,200 to as much as 2,000 depending on the wood you use if you go the full bench crafted rout. If its me and I am just starting I am never going to spend that much on my first bench.

I am going to take my 1200 dollars I was going to spend on building my Roubo and buy me a jointer and a planer and then with left over money buy a few sheets of 3/4" cabinet grade maple plywood... Not from home depot but a wholesale wood dealer. Then use it to build me a bench I can start building things on.

In the end you have to decide what you want to do based on your needs/wants using the available equipment you already have. Personally I think everyone is a little Roubo crazy right now. Do I think it is an awesome bench. Absolutely! Do I want one? In a heart beat! Do I have one... Nope. Am I planing on building one? Down the road for sure!

Not having one is not preventing me from building a single thing I want to. So when I have the hand planes I want to buy and have upgraded my chisels and gotten a better cabinet saw then I will build a Roubo. Until then I just consider the Roubo a luxury. Like all luxuries in my life... They get trumped by practicality... 90% of the time.

Now as for the cost of a Roubo... I can't imagine a guy building it for less than 800 dollars using cheap hardware. Closer to 1,200 to as much as 2,000 depending on the wood you use if you go the full bench crafted rout. If its me and I am just starting I am never going to spend that much on my first bench.

I didn't spend that much either. My Roubo's total costs came out to be about $300 altogether.

Top: 7 Douglas fir 4x4's, about $80

Legs and stretchers: 1 2x12, and 2 more 4x4's, about $40

Leg vise and sliding deadman: 8/4 cherry, about $80

Wooden screw for leg vise: $100, found on one of the woodworking forum classified ads.

I splurged on the cherry because I saw how little I had spent on wood up to that point. If I hadn't used 8/4 cherry for my leg vise and the sliding deadman, and gone with another 2x12 to make those parts, the total cost would have been easily less than $250.

I know Marc is working on the bench in the Guild but I wanted to ask the question if that is my best option.

Here be heresy.

I'm getting the sense lately that a lot of folks are convinced that a Roubo workbench is the best solution for everyone, and that anyone who doesn't already have one must want one badly and will surely build one someday.

I can certainly see that a Roubo would be a dandy tool for somebody who does a lot of traditional woodworking with hand tools. But with all the concurrent talk about jointers and planers and power saws, I have to wonder how many folks actually fit into that category. Could it be that something other than a traditional woodworking bench would suit more people? Or maybe that there isn't really a one-size-fits-all design for workbenches?

Maybe the first question to answer when thinking about a workbench is, "Hand tools, or power tools, or both?" If the answer is "hand tools", then something like a Roubo might be just the ticket. But if not, then maybe what you really need is an assembly table that might be wider and lower than a traditional bench.

Do you batch out multiple copies of your projects? Maybe you need a few big, but simple tables just to stack parts as you're working on them.

Do you ever work on your car? Maybe a greasy old mechanic's vise isn't going to look so good bolted to that Roubo.

Are you pressed for storage space? Maybe an array of drawers under the bench would serve you better than a sliding deadman.

Do you work on the vacuum cleaner once in a while? Maybe you really don't want that split top for all the little parts to fall through.

So what I'm getting at is that you should try to predict what kinds of things you will do with your workbench and then build accordingly. And if you're not sure, start with something simple and cheap that you can replace without a lot of regret later when you've figured out what you really need.

-- Russ

• Like 1

I have survived about 15yrs without a Roubo so it can be done. As I look back I know for about the first five yrs or so I would have thought it was a waste spending that much time and money on a bench, not the case now. I slowly gravitated towards handtools and the need has become greater for a better bench and the desire for a Roubo has grown. I have been looking closely as benches for the past 7yrs or so and have the whole thing figured out in my head how its going to be done and even have pretty much all the wood on hand to do it. I am glad I waited because I would not be happy with the bench I was planning on building 7yrs ago, but that being said that was also befor the Roubo explosion. There is a simple answer for the reason this bench is a household name in many woodworkers homes-it does solve almost every problem we have faced until now.

I think it is safe to say that if you build a Roubo for your 1st bench you will be satisfied and not look back, but if you don't think it is worth the time or money to invest in a Roubo or something along those lines you are probably either not to that place in hobby dreamland or it's just not right for your stye of woodworking. There isn't one shoe that fits all nor is there one bench that fits all.

So what I'm getting at is that you should try to predict what kinds of things you will do with your workbench and then build accordingly. And if you're not sure, start with something simple and cheap that you can replace without a lot of regret later when you've figured out what you really need.

Completely agree. My experience is that a Roubo fits both simple and cheap.

Now, I'm not saying that a Roubo is the best bench for everyone, either. What I am saying is that two common reasons given for not building one are cost and complexity, and I think that's a hard case to make. To make a Roubo, you need to glue up a bench top, make 12 mortise and tenon joints, and put a vice on it. If you want a sliding deadman, you have to make an additional round groove and attach a long strip of wood to the bottom stretcher. That's it.

Again, there are other reasons for going with another bench design, which I completely understand.