Taketh and no Giveth (so far)

stevo.kinevo

My name is Steve, and I'm a tree killer - I was raised in woodshops, and I'm a designer/craftsman that works in the medium of print & furniture, so I've basically made my passion and way of life dependent on chopping down trees.

I recall once as a kid in my Grandpa's shop in-between him trying to teach me about hand tools (of course I wanted to use the big machines), he was telling me about where the wood we were using came from, and the idea of replacing the trees we use so someday I'll be able to teach my grandkids the same thing in my shop. This has always been in the back of my head, and lately it's been more at the forefront of my thoughts.

My dilemma and why I'm asking here, is I moved away from home in the Midwest to Montana, where evergreens and hardwoods of little use for fine furniture grow easily, so all the walnut, birch, ash, and oak I turn into furniture will never be replaced by the douglas fir seedling I'm able to plant myself. I'd really like to make it my own personal policy to plant one or two trees for every piece I produce, but I'm not really doing my part if I use a walnut tree from the midwest and plant a fir tree in the west. I do produce a few lines that use fir, so I have that covered, but I'd like to find a resource online or otherwise that I would be able to purchase tree plantings of or closer to the hardwood variety used for each piece.

Does anyone know of any resources or organizations that does this? I was introduced to Trees for the Future by a shoe manufacturer client we have that plants a tree for every shoe sold, however you basically just donate into the mix and they plant whatever wherever, and that's at least a start. Ultimate goal I'd be able to specify a walnut and and ash tree planted in honor of a piece that I produced using the same...

Any suggestions or resources would be much appreciated!

Happy Trails,

-Steve

The only resources I have found are Plum Creek Timber, which happens to be a Real Estate Investment Trust I own shares in. The problem I have with them is that they are very heavy into the pine and douglas fir growths. They own, maintain, and sell logging rights to areas of forests in the US. They also own forested lands, that they have these rights to. As they are in the business of making money, they are not the first choice if you are truly trying to be eco-conscious, or green, or whatever the appropriate term is. The nice thing is that this is a REIT, which turns the money they make as profit around to 1) pay dividends, and 2) reinvest in land. Specifically land. The type of land this particular company invests in is forests, while other REITs will invest in land appropriate to their own needs.

The only thing I could suggest otherwise it to plant your own trees in lands you have access and approval to. As more and more of us move urban and do not have access to planting rights, this becomes more difficult. My father recently noted some trees he had planted a few years ago are doing well, but will not ever reach maturity, as the land they are on will be sold shortly. It becomes heartbreaking when you realize that these are some great examples of Black Walnut that are growing nice and clean...

But if you, or anybody else, finds some of these organizations, let me know. I'd gladly contribute to them.

Maybe we should talk with some of the sponsors, see what they know? I'd be willing to bet Bell Forest might know of one or two...

growing up my grandpa would grow seedlings in pots on pack porch and then plant them along railroad tracks. you cant build on them and if you plant a tree a distace from the actual track it can grow to maturity and not get cut out. maybe trimed by the R-R but usualy not cut down. even now there are apple trees, cherry trees, pare tree, ect.... growing by the track and the neighbor hood kids love it. he would also put black berries, strawberries, rasberries, gooseberries, soil is wrong for blue berries though. :(

maybe that is something you might what to think about doing if you have some land plant some seedlings and transplant them to places that will let you put them in. or go ninja style and plant them by the tracks. speaking of going ninja growing up we would plant bushes in the middle of peoples yards at night that way when they got up in the morning to get there paper they would standing there in pajams with coffiee in one hand, paper in the other and there would be a half grown bush in the middle of the walk ways or flower garden.

Hey that was you who planted the dogwoods?!! :))-

I think it's great your thinking of doing this. Duckisser's grand pappy had it right as did yours. Why try to fix what ain't broken. You can plant anything and it's good for the environment as in shade, mini ecosystems, niches and even when it does die of old age there is the law of conservation of mass which IMO is one of the coolest natural phenomenons. Just thinking the way you are right now will help you in your plans on what you think is best plan of action for yourself and more importantly, your grandchildren. Good luck!

Why not simply work with Douglas Fir? Paul Fritts & Associates did precisely that with the new organ at Notre Dame:

IMG_1214_Notre_Dame.jpg

It's a fantastically beautiful piece, all done with what he had sourced locally to his shop in Tacoma. If working local and sustainable is important to you, then do something beautiful with what is local and sustainable.

• Like 1

I would check with your local Extension Agency. Ours usually has a seedling sale every year. Most of the lumber I get is locally harvested domestic trees. They only do well if planted and maintained in my area, as our forests are all evergreen.

Thanks for the input. I heard back on an inquiry from Trees for the Future that sounds interesting, when I have some time I'd like to look a bit further into it. They don't do really any hardwood plantings however they were intrigued by the idea of planting domestic hardwoods for this reason. Seems they could design a program, however it would be slightly more expensive than their current programs (still cheap in my opinion).

I've thought about working in douglas fir and a few other local flavors - it's a beautiful, stable species and a ton of fun to work, but walnut, ash and birch are just too fun of a drug to quit! ;) That and I quite enjoy pairing a local fir and a contrasting hardwood local to my roots, I just like what it symbolizes to me, call me sentimental (I think all of us woodworkers are to some point).

Thanks and I'll fill yall in if I get anything of interest rolling!

Happy Trails,

Steve