light surface rust on handplane

I recently purchased a Lie Nielson hand plane and have been putting Camellia Oil on it

and it still developed some rust. My shop is in my basement with a dehumidifier, the strange

thing is this is the only piece of equipment that developed rust.

What is everyone one using on their hand tools?

Anyone using T9?

I recently purchased a Lie Nielson hand plane and have been putting Camellia Oil on it

and it still developed some rust. My shop is in my basement with a dehumidifier, the strange

Anyone using T9?

I use the heck out of my planes, but they still manage to get a light rust on them - It's a very deep rust, not the light flaky stuff that happens when a tool just sits idle... Anyway, I usually just wipe them down with a little paste wax - If the rust bothers me, then I'll rub it with 0000 steel wool, and mineral oil, wrapped up with some boeing spray.

-gregory

Anyone using T9?

If it's just that one hand plane, then maybe it's how you're storing it? If the plane is kept in an unfinished cabinet or draw, than it can develop rust. Or if it's covered in wood shavings when it's put away, it can develop rust. I've had this problem in the past, so I just put a coat of finish on the drawer where i kept my planes, and it worked out great.

Also, you can check out this other stuff from Lie-Nielsen as well:

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1241

I have three tray drawers with my planes on them. I took the anti-corrosion packing paper they came in, flattened and folded it nicely, and laid it on the drawer. I didn't want it on the unfinished ply like Paul mentioned avoiding. So far, none on the undersides. A little bit on the sides from sweaty fingers that weren't dried enough (and one big spot where it must have dripped and I didn't notice! doh!). Granted, AZ is drier than most places, but right now, the past month has been very high humidity; this is when humidity-complaisant Arizonians find rusty surprises.

Lie-Nielsen also sells a rust eraser that works pretty well at removing surface rust and not damaging the tool. I have to use it on my jointer every once and while because where I put my thumb always has a little rust even when it is wiped down after every use. Must be something in my sweat chemistry.

I use Camilla oil on all my planes, but may switch to the Jojoba at some point and give it a try. I also wax the soles of my planes with beeswax before putting them away that way they are always slick as snot when they hit a board. I am sure the beeswax provides some level of protection as well.

Anyone using T9?

where is the rust? it doesn't happen to be in the areas your hand rests on while using the plane does it?

which plane is it? block plane?

I notice that the only plane that will develop some light surface rust is my block plane, because that's the only handplane that I hold on the metal sides as opposed to the other planes which I hold by their wooden handles. a little sweat/mosture from your hands holding it, and it'll develop light surface rust.

steel wool or scortchbrite pad with WD40 will clean it out, but a better solution would be to prevent that rust - wipe off that plane after use before storing it. this will take off the moisture from your hands, and will prevent the rust from developing to begin with.

When fixing clocks, one thing we sometimes do is dip the brass plates in a very dilute solution of lacquer and thinner to keep them from getting tarnished. It's actually pretty simple.

Don't shoot me, but would dipping the metal body of the plane and then cleaning the lacquer off the appropriate surfaces be a viable solution for this kind of thing or would that be sacrilege? :unsure:

Don't shoot me, but would dipping the metal body of the plane and then cleaning the lacquer off the appropriate surfaces be a viable solution for this kind of thing or would that be sacrilege? :unsure:

It was suggested not to long ago that I try the same thing with shellac, as my sweat seems to be as corosive as battery acid.