Kreg Rip Saw Guide

Jerry_in_SD

I am starting a kitchen project soon. I purchased one of those Kreg rip saw guides on sale when it came out without any reviews. Had it cost more than it did I would not have done this. I plan to use it to rough cut ply before going to the t saw. Anyone have experience with this? Would like opinions before I tear into moderately expensive per-finished maple ply that will make up my boxes.

Any rip saw guide is useful so long as you are referencing from a true and accurate cut. The challenge arises when you use off the shelf plywood that may or may not be accurate. The best first step is to make that straight and true reference cut and then rip from there. You need and hopefully have some sort of circular saw guide or track to make that first cut. If you don't, you can make one fairly easily.

Also, take a look at some of the vendor sites like Highland Woodworking - they have good customer comments on the Kreg jig that may be helpful.

Yes I do have a straight guide however I am hoping to use the factory edge on the plywood. I don't care if the plywood is square only that I have a straight factory edge. Will square on table saw. I am purchasing 3/4" pre-finished maple plywood from a hardwood retailer so hopefully it is manufactured to higher standards than Home Depot quality plywood.

I was hoping that someone owned one and had first hand feedback on how well it worked. I guess not here....

I have one of the kreg rip cuts. Best $40 I ever spent. Makes any cut under 24" so much easier. I'd much rather use it if I had more than one cut than setting Iona straight edge over and over.

What's your concern about it?

The only problem I have with it is that the guide part that rides in the reference edge of the plywood is too short and it makes the last two inches of the cut a bit shaky.

I have one of the kreg rip cuts. Best $40 I ever spent. Makes any cut under 24" so much easier. I'd much rather use it if I had more than one cut than setting Iona straight edge over and over.

What's your concern about it?

The only problem I have with it is that the guide part that rides in the reference edge of the plywood is too short and it makes the last two inches of the cut a bit shaky.

Well, there's that, plus the fact that it relies on the edge being guided on being true and smooth. Having used both kinds, I prefer the clamps.