limiting my shop to minimum

dont know got to think it out and convice my family that this will work. what im worried about is the dust geting through out the basement. its a finished basment that i live in so i dont want to live in my own sawdust anymore then i have too. for the time being i got my lathe at my brothers house in his garage but i know he isent going to want tme turn in his garage so i hadent planed on it. what im thinking is puting a dust collector in my closet and puting in some small pvc pipes 2" going across the wall to the bench and to my scroll saw. then ill have some hoses hooked up to my scroll saw, one hooked up to my bench, and one hooked up to my red cart so i can clean up drill press chips and grinder dust.

plus im thinking of adding a second filter to the furnice

and i like the idea of building a filter around my lathe.

geting a air filter

if nothing more im going to put the piping in to help keep the space clean without pulling out shop vac every night. i was going to put the pipes in the rafters so i would be pulling dust strait up to the main pipe will i have many problems with that?

while waiting for bench build i have decided to get pvc hooked up for dust control, also painting inside of closet doors with chalk board paint, ordered grizly bench top dust collector and starting to shop around for tools.

im thinking of geting a small bench top jointer, dewalt planer, band saw, and a portable table saw for job location work. 3 gal air compressor, small size dust collector. what kind of limitations am i looking at for those types of tools. is it worth it or should i just forget that thought?

i know i cant cut big lumber with a small band saw but what can i use it for that i cant use a scroll saw for? the jointer what size lumber would i be able to joint with on that thing?i would end up having to pull it out from the basement to the driveway whenever i wanted to use those machines. or ill build a shelf that i can store in garage for when i need to use it and then just set up saw horses for table.

What bandsaw were you considering? They are hard to collect dust from but very versitle . You could roll it outside to cut complex blanks for your carving.

The little tabletop jointers might have some use in skilled hands but most are very limited in what they can handle . I can see you flattening the face of a block to glue up a blank for turning or carving.

I have an old original Ryobi 10" lunchbox planer that does an amazing job. Noisy and throws shavings over an alarming distance. But easy to pull out, use and back on the shelf. I think the current Ryobi is just a marketing name these days. Take a look at Dewalt. Might be spring or a rare nice weekend before you would want to set up a planer on saw horses in the driveway.

How did your little carving bench test out on the tilt support arms?

dont know about any bandsaws any recomendations? something light that i can set up outside something with a thicker blade for resawing or switch out for complicated cuts.

the jointer would probably be used so that i can glue up smaller pieces like cutting boards or boxes nothing large like a table or a bench for that i would probably have to use a ciricular saw and saw horses.

we have the dewalt 735 at work at that is noisy but it a good power horse. can drag my dust collector up from the basement when i need to use it and hook it strait up to that or just aim it for my neighbors house muhahahahahaha

havent goten around the mini bench ill try it tonight ill put it on a table and smack it a few time with a mallet. and let you know. are you thinking of making one? if so the t nuts on the side make shure you epoxy in good because the knobs want to pull the bolts out of the wood. ill also take a photo of my carving vice that i built out of pipe.

thinking about building a square table with shelves under it that i can pull into drive and set up on. or ill make a set of tall shelves that will hold my router table, jointer, planer, miter saw, band saw. figure when ever i get a full shop i can use a extra set up table or i can use some deep tool shelves. cant realy plan what im making till i get the tools and find out what demension ill need for those 5 tools.

quick update i painted my closiet doors black at least they look black im using chalk board paint on it. that way i have a huge black board to write notes and measurements on. i think every shop should have a space for just writing lots of information on a wall. due dates, supply lists, project cut lists, ect....

• 1 month later...

DSCN0249.jpg

here is my bench what you see is a home made poor mans carving vise i am working on a angry old man that just got done removing some long eared pests from his garden.

DSCN0251.jpg

painted the cabinet doors so i can write on them

here is my work area plus my shelves for wood, and around the corner is a counter with some cabinets for my finishes. now i just need to fill it with some toosl like grinders and drill presses plus all the small hardware in my little drawers. DSCN0250.jpg

ha i have a piece of wood glueing up i just stuck that in there to get it out f the way while i was doing a little finish work on the side. making a tangram puzzle for someones little boy at work.

i plan on having a block of wood to go in vise for carving vise, block of wood for a metal vise, mount a thick piece of metal to use as a anvil, prity much just moving stuff around and puting it away after i get done with it each time i want to use it. bit of a pain but it is what it is.

lwrotenA thought for you: Since you cannot use your lathe for a while and can only work on small projects, have you considered making segmented or splined bowls? You could spend the next few months creating blanks that could be turned when you get back on the lathe. I have seen some very pretty bowls that required a lot of work before they are turned, just milling and glueing. I don't know what you normally do on a lathe, but this could be an opportunity to expand into a new area.

i started to branch out into segmented just before the move but where i'm at now there really isn't any way to mill my lumber down. only milling is done with a hand plane and hand saw. i don't really like hand tool work ill do it as i need it but i would rather keep working then be stuck with my own thoughts for the hour it takes to hand make a single joint. no i'm going to branch out into power carving ill get a dust collector and figure a way to suck up my dust straight from my carving tool. then i can start shaving, chipping, and grinding away at the projects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just bought the worksharp 3000 for $200. Sharpens chisles and plane blades up to 2" easily. I sharpened my oldest crustiest chisel and all my plane blades (4 of them) in about a half hour. They will now slice effortlessly through a sheet of paper. They work even better on wood. Apparently planes actually work if you can manage to sharpen them... I am dreadful at sharpening with stones. I don't have the patience. Watch their demo, it is pretty versitle.

im going with a combination of bench grinders iwroten. use a regular stone for shaping, white stone for fine grinding a paper wheel for honeing and a buffing wheel to get rid of th burr. that way i can sharpen my lathe tools, carving tools, chisles, planes, ect.....sharpening is just a matter of what you can get good at using that could be a work sharp or a set of stones.

• 5 months later...

ok been 9 months since I moved into the new space things come and go and then i hurt myself. im healing now so I figure great time to do some minor work on shop to stream line and organize it. here are my current pictures of my work space including my mess mostly because of lack of table space and storage.

DSCN0318_zps6828ed0f.jpg[/url

here is my work bench want to put drawers on the bottom that I can store my router, carving tools, put a pidgin hole slotted drawer that I can store different stone inlay. on it is a bowl I started working on before I got hurt. thought I would put some light blue stone inlay in. the white pipe is for dust collection for my power carver

DSCN0319_zps4a7c2be4.jpg

here is my new bandsaw you can see my inlay sample boards to show what my stones look like. and a cheap drill press for drills that I use for the time being till I buy a drill press. here is my dragon baby named fred that I made a few years ago.

URL=http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/duckkisser/media/DSCN0320_zpsad28e97b.jpg.html]DSCN0320_zpsad28e97b.jpg

here is storage for hardware and shelving for random storage

DSCN0321_zps0736faf4.jpg

here is my 3m storage box for router, belt sander ect...it has a bench grinder on top with a box around it so I can set my second grinder on it one grinder is for grindinf, sharpening, and a second for honing my carving tools and turning tools.

DSCN0327_zps8e4940f7.jpgDSCN0326_zps7e3306de.jpg

here is my finishing bench as you can see I love nutty bars and here is a bandsaw box I finished one handed.

DSCN0324_zps253e381a.jpg

here is my wood dust, stone powders inlay ingredients ect....

URL=http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/duckkisser/media/DSCN0328_zps6f285b38.jpg.html]DSCN0328_zps6f285b38.jpg

my messy lumber needs to be restacked................volunteers?

URL=http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/duckkisser/media/DSCN0322_zpseaa9229f.jpg.html]DSCN0322_zpseaa9229f.jpg

here is my scroll saw with my home made dust collecting siting on top of a shop vac muffler I built

DSCN0323_zps198c0706.jpg

here is the length of my shop all 6 steps of it :)

• 4 weeks later...

dont want to get rid of too much hoping to move into a garage shop sometime this year.  dont want to get rid of my lumber thats the only thing i can realy get rid of for more space.  its mostly figure wood, or some special pieces that will be used for a project in the future. and all my tools are stuff i use on a regular basis.  i am using all i have ona  regular basis so even though i do need to get rid of a few odds and ends i use too many mediums for inlaying and marquitry that i dont want to get rid of anything.