Drill bits - standard twist bit and brad point bit

Pbmaster11

I went to Lee Valley several years ago and purchased their 28 piece brad point set. I couldn't be happier. With 64th inch increments I can always find the right bit for those off size dowels. Sharp crisp edges on the holes. Here's their catalog number. Maybe expensive but well worth it.

Boxed Set of 28 (5/64" to 1/2") BP Drills

07J01.28 view_Off.gifacc_Off.giftech_Off.gifinstr_Off.gif $179.00

I have my trusty Black and Decker set I bought about 15 yrs ago that still go strong. A buddy of mine and my dad also have the same set with the same results, the bad thing is I am sure you can't find ones like that made by them anymore. I also have a set of Dewalt pilot bits, don't like them. They are very aggressive which makes getting good clean results a challenge even in the drill press. I don't look forward to the day when I have to replace my B&Ds but when I do I think it will be Lee Valley to the rescue.

Maybe you can answer this...

I bought a big set (big as in 20-25 sizes, with 20 of each size) from Rockler when they had their sale a few months back. (Red metal case)

They seem weak and break easily, at least the small sizes.

What appears to happen is I am drilling a deep hole (1-2 inches) with a small bit, (1/8" for example) and about 3/4 of the way thru the hole heats up, the wood expands and the bit gets locked in place. Next thing I know, the bit twists in half.

So my question is:

• Do I need to clear the flutes of the bit out more often? (I try to clear the chips out of the bit out every 1/2" or so of drilling.)
  • Is this a feature of cheap bits?
  • Am I doing something else wrong?

Thanx,

Bill

Maybe you can answer this...

I bought a big set (big as in 20-25 sizes, with 20 of each size) from Rockler when they had their sale a few months back. (Red metal case)

They seem weak and break easily, at least the small sizes.

What appears to happen is I am drilling a deep hole (1-2 inches) with a small bit, (1/8" for example) and about 3/4 of the way thru the hole heats up, the wood expands and the bit gets locked in place. Next thing I know, the bit twists in half.

So my question is:

• Do I need to clear the flutes of the bit out more often? (I try to clear the chips out of the bit out every 1/2" or so of drilling.)
  • Is this a feature of cheap bits?
  • Am I doing something else wrong?

Thanx,

Bill

You bought a bunch of cheap@$$ drill bits. Try replacing the most used ones (the broken ones) with some good bits of the same size and note the difference. I'm not sure what you paid for them but, if you got 400 drill bits for under $400.00 you bought junk. Almost any size drill bit will cost more than a dollar if they are good ones.

It pays to buy good tools the first time instead of cheap tools six times.

Just my 0.02 cents worth.

Rog

I have a few sets.

1 - SUPER cheap indexed twists. These drill bits will never touch wood. I use them to set tool cutter/blade heights.

2 - A lot of brad points - either Whiteside or Colt. I've found the whiteside bits better drilling through end grain (pen blanks). The only place I can find them is at my local woodcraft. The colts cut extremely clean holes, but tear out the bottoms a little more than the whiteside; even with a sacrificial backer.

3 - A large set of twist bits in both SAE and Metric. I have no idea what brand they are. My father gave them to me when he retired from his job as a machinest. They are awesome though.

Everything is HSS