Basic Turning Question

Goatman

Haven't turned anything for a very long time. I picked up an old wood lathe (Dunlap 9") and am turning some white oak legs for a bird cage. The style I'm after has the top end of the turning left square. My question is this. I'm getting a very rough cut with tear-out in the area transitioning from the square to the round part of the leg. When cutting this area do I need to increase the speed? I've used the large gouge and someone suggested trying a skew and going very slow.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

First, out of the box usually doesn't mean sharp. However, modern turning tools and the speeds at which we turn makes a pretty dang good edge right out of the box. Definitely go with the skew. position the chisel on the narrow edge and lead with the point very slowly just to score the corners. Then angle in from the waste side to cut away the corners (these are the parts causing your tearout). Depending on the style you are going for you would repeat this from the keep side too if you want the corners clipped instead of square. Once you have the corners clipped down to the widest diameter your blank will yield you can start to shape the leg down the blank without worry that a catch on the corner will tear out into the square mortise block. I showed this technique in one of my Queen Anne Side Table videos a while ago if you want to see it in motion.

Thanks.

I'll have to check out Woodcraft. I get up in Oakwood Village on occasion. Keim Lumber had a pretty good supply of lathe stuff as well. I call on them for work and have to walk past the tools section to get to where I'm going.

Thanks again guys.

First, out of the box usually doesn't mean sharp. However, modern turning tools and the speeds at which we turn makes a pretty dang good edge right out of the box. Definitely go with the skew. position the chisel on the narrow edge and lead with the point very slowly just to score the corners. Then angle in from the waste side to cut away the corners (these are the parts causing your tearout). Depending on the style you are going for you would repeat this from the keep side too if you want the corners clipped instead of square. Once you have the corners clipped down to the widest diameter your blank will yield you can start to shape the leg down the blank without worry that a catch on the corner will tear out into the square mortise block. I showed this technique in one of my Queen Anne Side Table videos a while ago if you want to see it in motion.

+1 for this way the skew parts the wood fibers so you can start cuting them off without them riping farther up the legs and ruining your clean corners.