fast and easy lathe chuck

duckkisser

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2085319/40657/Easy-Wood-Tools-4-Jaw-Easy-Chuck.aspx?refcode=12IN11NL&utm_source=directemail&utm_medium=email&utm_content=11-20-easychuck&utm_campaign=12IN11NL#ProdInformationTab

this looks a realy usefull chuck fast and easy buts its pricy at 500.00 but its probably worth the money long term for someone that turns profesionaly and in large quantities daily.

but for the price they should add in all the extra jaws since it will cost you 160 dollers for the largr diameter jaws and the small jaw.

Ya, this looks like a piece of really well engineered hardware, but for 500 bucks, I can get 3 supernovas, which are also, good solid hardware.. For the right person, I'm sure it will be a good choice, but I can't see me buying one soon. Nice to see innovation regardless, and built in North America..

My 2cents.. :)

Bear.

• Like 1

The owner of EWT was showing it off at WIA in Cincy, and I took a good hard look at it. It is solid, and the way the jaws are mounted is revolutionary. You can quickly adjust the opening of the jaws with out chuck key, but then use the chuck key to tighten it down, so you get best of both worlds. It is a very well engineered chuck, Since this chuck wasn't simply a copy of what is already out on the market, but in many ways a ground up redesign, I am sure the $500 price point is what they need to ultimately make a profit on their investment.

That said, there are many good chucks out there that are going to be a tough competition. I could buy several nova chucks and get the same convenience as what the EWT chuck provides.

• Like 1

Yup, the second I saw it I was thinking that it would be far more useful to have more chucks than one super expensive but "quick change" chuck.

On top of that, some of the turnings I have been experimenting with require them to sit chucked up while finish dries (like a dye) and two chucks keeps the shop moving forward.

I might pay a little more for this type of flexibility, but not 3x the cost.

• 1 month later...

i think i would much rather go with a few different more specialized chucks than a singular chuck.. dont get me wrong, if i could afford one i would totally snatch one up but that is alot of money for just one chuck.

iv been meaning to upgrade to a better primary chuck, probably a nova.

Just recently decided to get a chuck for my lathe. I'm aiming at the Minis, as I don't have a large swing, so this is out of my range and pricing. But i like the concept. Given my budget (nearly nonexistant), one chuck to control them all makes more sense for me. But I'm not the majority on this.

jhop what is your swing? and what are you planing on making with it? bowls pens, jewlary ect.... can probably help you narrow it down

i bought this one http://www.deltamach...hes/item/46-461 because its great for reverse sanding this is my power horse chuck for when im doing larger bowls and platters because i can use a allen wrench to lock it onto my lahe so i can put it in reverse. this is a auto centering chuck so i just put in the key and tighten it down.

http://www.pennstate...tore/LCJC8.html i also got this one but i wish i had goten one that can be tightened like my nova for reverse turning and sanding. if im not carefull when i turn it on the chuck can come off the lathe so if i do have to put it in reverse i start out slow with light pressure on the wood to make shure it does not unscrew itself but usualy i just use this chuck in forward for turning/sanding the bottoms off of bowls.

http://www.pennstate...e/CSC2000C.html and i also bought this one so that i can turn small pieces with the pin jaws its a little light weight for doing large uneven work i usualy go for my nova but for making magnets and small knobs this is great. this chuck is tightened with two wrenches.

i like having the 3 chucks because i can go from project to project in secends rather then in a half hour from puting different jaws on the lathe. just unscrew and install different chuck.

a example of the money saving is i made a 5 piece set of boxes for a lady she was raffling them off at a church. she paid me 200.00 for the set and i got them done in a afternoon. used nova chuck to turn the shapes and hollow out. i then but them backwards in the jumbo jaw set and turned the bottoms smooth. and then i put in my pen jaw chuck and made finials. assembled the project gave it a spray with finish and had them out the door after 6-7 hours of work. figure a hour and a half per box thats around 28$ a hour not a fortune but the money saving paid off my nova chuck.

my lathe is 12 inches usualy on rmidi lathes its in the range of 12 or 10inches unless you go to the tiny lathes for making fishing lures then you talking 4-5 inches. the nova should be plent of chuck for what you need 150 bucks is cheaper range of price and is a prity solid tool. only bad thing is it comes with one set of jaws so you will have to buy other jaw sets and change them out or get a second chuck with large jaws, and pin jaws.

have fun making shavings.

I have the 46-461 referenced above and agree its a great chuck

There is a pretty good package deal on sale at woodcraft with the nova branded version and 4 jaw sets for 199. it includes the 35mm Spigot Jaws, 35mm Bowl Jaws, Step Jaws, 20mm Mini Jaws and the Woodworm Screw Check it out if you are looking for a new chuck.

I have the barracuda C3 (PSI's Brand) version of the nova that is on sale at woodcraft, and I love it. I also have the jumbo jaws for it, and if I did it again, I would buy a seperate chuck for the jumbo jaws. It is pretty annoying to swap out the jaws. When the budget allows, I will probably buy another set of jaws to keep the jumbo on full time.