shop vac muffle box

duckkisser

I think you can still just use the exhaust air from the shop vac; just put the exhaust vent for the box at the opposite side as the vac exhaust vent. The shop vac will pull in cool (room temp) air from the room, run it through the filter, and push it out into the box. That air then passes by the motor cooling vents on its way back out into the room. Any heat that the air picks up, it gets by cooling off the motor, either inside the shop vac or outside the shop vac, inside the box.

You just need to make sure that the motor isn't sitting in a little pocket of hot air that never gets replaced. If the vacuum air passes by the motor on the way out, I think you'll be OK.

As longs as the temperature stays around 80-85 degrees, then the heat is getting pushed out of the box. If the heat wasn't getting pushed out, the temperature would steadily rise until the motor overheated.

ok after checking and inside and outside temps of the vac directly from the exaust the temperature difference is 10 degrees. outside the box it hovers at exactly 100 degrees strait from the exaust and inside the box it it is around 110 degrees strait from the exaust.

the average temperature inside the box of the air is around 80-85 degrees and the average temperature of the shop outside the box is 65.

so people who know and understand motors is this going to be too warm? plus i havent even put in any sound dampening insulation yet. might have to buy a whole new shop vac. get a 6.5 vac 12gallon tank for 100 dollers right now. rather then my 2.5 vac

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/wet-dry-vacuums/12-gallon-stainless-steel-wet-dry-vacuum-on-cart/p-1858641-c-10092.htm

Can you sneak it inside the house where it is warm for a test run? Maybe when everyone else is out of the house? 80 to 85 in the box is fine when the vac is pulling 65 degree air, but what happens when it is pulling in 80 or 90 degree summer air.

Can you hook the vac hose to the ductwork in the basement , that would give you warm intake air.

• Like 1

Duck, rather than insulating the box with foam, build another box that will fit over your original box, made of particle board. Make sure there is an inch of air space between the two boxes. Sound is more effectively deadened when it passes through materials of different densities with an air space in between them. Acoustical windows are made with two different thicknesses of glass with an air space between, like an insulated window, but insulated glass uses two sheets of glass that are the same thickness. Buy an inexpensive bathroom fan or computer fan and use it to suck air from the basement into the box to help cool the vac.

here is one that a guy made im baseing it off this with a little taller room on top so i will have room for the air to cool around it. i also will have the baffels slide out so those will catch any light dust and i can just suck up any light dust that ended up coming out of the machine.

It seems to me that the heat would dissipate better if the baffles were in the top of the box, rather than the bottom. As this one is designed, I think there would be a pocket of warm air in the top of the box (hot air rises), and that the relatively cooler air in the bottom would be pulled out instead. It might or might not be significant, depending on how much air is moved around inside the box, but I don't see any reason not to put the exhaust in the top.