Drill Press possibilities

tombuhl

Confronted once again with circumstances where a floor model drill press would be useful, but my bench top model can't do it, so I'm pondering adding a floor model DP to my estate. I like the looks of the PowerMatic model Marc has. Any experience any of you can share on the topic?

On my recent TWW Shop Tour, some fine gentleman made fun of my Ryobi DP amidst the PM big toys, so I just can't let that happen again. ; )

I have a number of PM machines and feel good about them. Have a Grizzly 18" band saw which gets the job done, but just doesn't have the solid feel I'd prefer [good value though, so not complaining]. Besides greater depth between table and bit, I notice that the PM has 18 inch reach which sounds useful. Current Roybi has 10" reach (I believe) which keeps being insufficient. Actually fine for bulk of my work, but there are times...

I am an avid amateur, not a production shop.

Thanks

Tom, I don't know if anyone makes them anymore. But, I have an old radial arm DP. LOVE this thing. It sits on the corner of a bench. I can swivel off the edge of the bench if I need to do something with an extremely long bit. But, I've never really run into the situation. It also allows me to drill at angles without using wedges.

Great minds think alike, Tom :) I had some long holes to bore the past two days and I also have a Ryobi benchtop DP. Monkeying with the table height then having to resquare the table to the bit gets old. For small stuff, it's great. I've been thinking a new full-height drill press is what I want, nay need.

I was thinking of a Powermatic drill press as well and considering the current Powermatic/Jet sale, I'll just figure out the model I want and wait for the 2-weeks when drill presses are on sale.

But other better options could steal the gold. Opinions?

I am sure my decision was an ignorant one but ... being a tool snob. Yes! I admit it! :blink: power tools are mostly Festool and hand tools are mostly Lie-Nielsen and some Veritas. When it came time to buy my drill press I went to Home Depot and got a Rigid. I am sure there are some very good reasons to invest in a Powermatic/Jet but I did not go for the whole shabang!

Great minds think alike, Tom :) I had some long holes to bore the past two days and I also have a Ryobi benchtop DP. Monkeying with the table height then having to resquare the table to the bit gets old. For small stuff, it's great. I've been thinking a new full-height drill press is what I want, nay need.

I was thinking of a Powermatic drill press as well and considering the current Powermatic/Jet sale, I'll just figure out the model I want and wait for the 2-weeks when drill presses are on sale.

But other better options could steal the gold. Opinions?

Last year I acquired the 16/32 Jet drum sander at year-end sale and saved about $150. Their DP is similar price range to the drum sander. Was thinking something like that must be coming up in the next few months. I don't always get their announcements, so if you hear of good sale and think of little ol' me, drop me a line. Would appreciate it, but I'll be looking as well.

Thanks all, for your input.

Some folk are probably getting tired of hearing this but a used tool is probably a good way to go if you don't mind replacing some bearings. Drill Presses are probably one of the easiest tools to find used. This is because their use is typically pretty light so they last even longer then other old tools, and just about everyone who does any kind of woodworking or metal working owns one so there are a lot out there. Typically you can find a really nice old floor model DP for 200 or less.

Things to look for when you buy a used DP are condition of the chuck (make sure it still moves).

Condition of the table. A lot of old DPs will have a chewed up table where ignorant prior owners kept pulling down after they drilled through whatever they are drilling. This tends to occur in an arc and is often called the "arc of shame."

Make sure the motor works. Some old DPs will be 3 phase which some folk prefer in a DP because then they can use a VFD to control the motor for really slow speeds needed to drill metal

Make sure the head moves on the pole, most rusty ones don't need more then a little WD-40 to convince them, but when they get stuck they really get stuck.

The PM drill presses are very nice. But I do think PM is too proud of them. It's just a drill press, folks.

I have a Delta floor standing model I got on Clearance at Lowe's a few years ago. It's not like Norm's where you can change speeds on the fly. I have to move belts or flip pulleys to change the speed. But I almost never need to change the speed and it works great. If you can find any Delta floor DP used, it's probably a good machine.

I have heard people say the Grizzly DPs are just OK.

When I was looking for a DP it was between the PM and the Delta 20" Variable Speed. While I love my PM2000, I went with the Delta for a few reasons, one of which is the possibility of slower speeds. It too has the 6" stroke which their 17" does not. I replaced the chuck with a Jacobs 5/8" keyless and have been very happy with the DP overall.

Not sure if the 20" is still available, it might have been replaced by the 18".

A few years ago I bought the floor model of the Grizzly Radial. I have no complaints. I like the fact that I can move the head over the work and at full extension I can drill into some very wide boards. It's nothing special, but usually drill presses aren't where you're going to put a lot of money anyway

I have an older craftsman with the adjustable speed lever like the Powermatic. I do not have to move belts to change speeds, which I do often to match the correct speed for the bit I am using. The powermatic is the only one I know of new with this feature, but it is a bit pricey. If I had my wishes I would like a radial arm so I can get at bigger pieces. If you have a 13" drill press that means you can get to the center of a 13" piece. This means that you can only get to 6.5" from the post. With a radial you can get much further out.

Guest Mahoganus

I needed a drill press too,, then when I seen the price and where they were made I said the heck with this and bought a used J head Bridgport Mill - Drill machine with digital read outs on it. :)