8" short bed jointer. is there any demand for it?

Brian - I am considering moving up to an 8" jointer for several reasons -

- Adjustability.  I'm looking at parallelogram jointers. 

- Width - I do well with my 6" jointer but a lot of really nice boards come 6"-8" and it would be a big bonus.

I never really thought a lot about the bed length - I would like it with a new jointer but it's not one of my primary reasons for looking.  I understand that in a small shop (like mine) a shorter jointer is more appealing, but if you're running long boards over it then you need the infeed and outfeed space anyways so smart machine location, or a good plan for mobile tools, should make up for that.  I currently have my jointer on a mobile base and move it as needed but I've decided to move some things around so I can get it off the mobile base and put it in one dedicated location.  I think I'd be able to fit a longer jointer in as well, but that is still TBD.

for acuracy the bed length is best the width just makes it a hell of a alot easer to cut wider boards with out some kind of special jig in the planer. 

i can only see one personal use for a realy wide jointer since i work with alot of off cuts and scrap pieces my boards are often wider then they are long.  and a short jointer would save space and allow me to work the wide/ short boards but then if i ever need a long board jointed im in trouble.

Brian - I am considering moving up to an 8" jointer for several reasons -

- Adjustability.  I'm looking at parallelogram jointers. 

- Width - I do well with my 6" jointer but a lot of really nice boards come 6"-8" and it would be a big bonus.

I never really thought a lot about the bed length - I would like it with a new jointer but it's not one of my primary reasons for looking.  I understand that in a small shop (like mine) a shorter jointer is more appealing, but if you're running long boards over it then you need the infeed and outfeed space anyways so smart machine location, or a good plan for mobile tools, should make up for that.  I currently have my jointer on a mobile base and move it as needed but I've decided to move some things around so I can get it off the mobile base and put it in one dedicated location.  I think I'd be able to fit a longer jointer in as well, but that is still TBD.

john you can do wide boards on the 6" take off your blade guard and cut the wood  on the jointer then carpet tape the piece you are flatening and stick it on a second board with the overhanging part over the edge.   then put it through the planer  and flatten the top side then flip it over and run it through till the overhanging piece is lvl with the rest of the surface.  tada square board.... this only works with 3-4 inches over that i would not try it.  then you need to just reach for your hand plane and lvl by hand.

Hi Duckkisser -

Yes, I am familiar with that method.  I also have a planer sled (which I would continue to use since even an 8" jointer leaves an issue with a board that would fit my 13" planer). I listed those two reasons in that order because accuracy and adjustability are preobably more important to me at this point.  I have  ridgid jointer which is good, but the infeed table is a little out of flat and higher on the outside edge, and I'm not sure I'd be able to get it adjusted (thus the interest in parallelogram models).