Woodworking in Central IL

Caleb Griffith

Hey All,

Just wanted to say hi to any other woodworkers in the Central IL area. I'm in the Peoria-Bloomington vicinity and I'm a hobbyist that dreams of becoming a pro. If anyone knows of any good hardwood dealers in the area, I'd love to hear from you. I've been to the Woodworkershop in Pekin and it's good but pricey. Also, if you have any planer/jointer straight knife sharpening needs, let me know, I do that on the side for a reasonable price.

It isn't work if you're doing what you love.

Cheers

If anyone knows of any good hardwood dealers in the area, I'd love to hear from you. I've been to the Woodworkershop in Pekin and it's good but pricey.

Here in Champaign we have http://www.cuwoodshop.com that's decent, buy by far my favorite is http://www.owlhardwood.com in Des Plaines.

hey caleb im in the neighbor hood, i live in kankakee.  there is a guy down the road who has a one man lumber mill i can give you his name and number and you can see about buying some lumber from him. its all air dried and his rates are resonable.

Can you send that to me as well?

55150 Pavements Maintenance/ Equipment Op. Yea we built runways and such. Mostly sidewalk work and snow removal at Chanute, seeing as we had no damn flightline. It did provide other adventures. Lots of TDY, got totally toasted with the Thunderbirds pilots in 1990. Would still do it again. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi cgwoodgoods

This reply is way late (but never). There is a woodworking club in Peoria that meets on the 3rd Wednesday of the month at the Woodworkers Shop in Pekin. The meeting starts at 6:30pm and is very casual. You are welcome to attend (first meeting is free). You'll get to meet lots of nice and experienced woodworkers there.

Hopefully we see you there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I get a lot of my lumber at Ericson's Log and Lumber in New Windsor Il. Just an hour up 74 from Peoria. They have oak, cherry, walnut, maple, elm and quite a few other local species. Pretty reasonable.

I'm in Galesburg. A guy that owns a lumber company (construction stock only) there just game me the contact info for Ericson's. Says its great.