How much wood is needed for this project?

I am planing on making 4 of these shelving units for craft sales. They are fold up and easily stored so I can use them a few times a year. How much lumber do you think it would take? Was thinking of using 1" wood strips.

http://www.candyconceptsinc.com/Folding-Shelf-Display-W-4-removable-shelves--Choose-Frame-Color_p_911.html

Probably a whole lot more than you would think. Or in my case from making face frames for a wall of cabinets, it was more than I expected. I didn't realize how many boards you go thru ripping 1 3/4" strips from 4/4 x 8' lumber. It will be interesting. Let us know the outcome.

Well I found a set of shelves that I can buy at menards for 40 bucks. They don't look as "crafty" but if I wanted too I could use them in the shop or garage. Not sure they would look as nice as a wood shelf but I can take these apart and transport them. The top shelf is about my head height so stuff on the top shelf are easily seen.

http://www.menards.com/main/shelving-visualizer/garage-basement/4-shelf-industrial-steel-shelving/p-1798461-c-13051.htm

We used to have a tiny bookshelf that was similar in concept to your original post. I would still suggest building that idea, but simplify it. Does it need to have all those 1" strips? can you do a flat back? no back at all? Just do enough structure rigidity to make sure it holds together. The concept there is that it's all hinges, and flat packs down. Lift up the shelves, fold left and right side in, boom. done. The metal shop shelves aren't exactly complicated, but will sure take more time and energy to setup and breakdown. 

Assuming that's 6' tall, 4' wide, and 12" deep, you are probably looking (quick calculation) at about 18 pieces of 6' long 1x2, and 4 pieces of 8' long 1x2.  Since i don't find 6' long 1x2s all that often, you can cut the last two feet off of an 8' length, then cut that in half to create the sides of the shelf support.

You still are looking at 22 pieces of lumber before you get to the shelves themselves.  Even assuming box store prices of $1 per 1x2, you'll probably end up with close to $40 in the project by the time you've included the shelf and the hardware.  Not saying don't do it, but if you do the math, you might break even in cost.  (What is your labor cost, and what experiences would you gain out of it that cannot be accounted for?)

If you're going a metal grid: if you don't have the grids already, check around for stores that are closing.  They sometimes offer them as fixtures for sale for under $5 each.  Making a simple wood frame for them is quick and easy, and offers a display rack and unique theme for your stuff.  (Can be as simple as a long groove in a 1x3 with a flat foot, or you can dress it up with curved (or carved) legs as in the mirror plan in the current issue of Handyman.)

Thanks guys I decided to just buy metal shelves that I can pop together and put up there. If need be I can just use the selves at home in garage, she'd, or basement for storage. I am going to paint them a even color of white to make the pieces stand out.