Woodworking idiot question

XGrunt

Hello all, 

First of all let me start by saying I am a complete woodworking idiot. I can barely hammer a nail in but it is something I have always wanted to do so after recently being forced to retire due to a disability I have decided to try my hand at it. So whats the first thing I build? A workbench of course.  It is an ugly frankestein but functional workbench that unfortunately at this time has to stay outside in the elements. It is made from 2x4's with two pieces of 3/4 inch plywood glued and screwed together.  I then put on a healthy coat of spar urethane.  Soooo to finally get to my questions....

1. How durable is the spar urethane against the elements?

2. Do I need to or CAN I apply deck stain overtop of this to make it more durable?

I currently keep it covered with a tarp just as added protection but really want to not have to worry about it being outside. 

Thanks for any help you can give to a complete woodworking newbie...

Welcome to the forums!

I'm sure that there are many on here who will give you better advice on the outdoor finish that I can so, will leave that to them.

Is this a permanent situation or do you have a shop in the works?  

Well eventually I hope to have some space but won't be anytime soon. I'm sure by the time I will have the room I will probably be ready to build a new a better table.  My dad passed down an ancient table saw and a miter saw ( both literally the same age as me ha ha) that I would like to use to do some practice projects and that was what I built the table for was to put them on when I work.  I'm very tool deficient also ha ha.    

X, if you will be leaving your bench outside, its time to consider shaker style and paint it! Seriously, the paint will weather the abuse and preserve the wood a lot longer than any clear finish will and will requires less maintenance and is probably cheaper. I would recommend a two tone paint job, legs and aprons different from the top itself. If you look at home depot, they carry a line of semi opaque outdoor paints by Behr. I have used one on my mailbox post and it has lasted several years down here. GL

==>It is an ugly frankestein but functional workbench that unfortunately at this time has to stay outside in the elements

It's alive... It's alive!

Welcome!

OK, Frankenbench will need re-coating every once in a while.  It kind of depends by what you meant by 'healthy coat of spar urethane'. Subsequent coatings have to be compatible or you'll have adhesion issues, differential expansion/contraction leading to cracking or other compatibility problems. Would help if you could provide a bit more info about the finish and how it was applied... If it's a marine spar urethane, then you're going to need to stick to a rather small (but very durable) family of coatings. The good news --- if properly applied, high-quality spar urethane can last about five years, so you probably don't need to rush-out and do something this weekend :)

I have to agree with TrippleH on the spar urathane, but frankly I think that Chopnhack's paint suggestion will give you the most durable finish were weather is concerned. You should consider dipping the feet in epoxy and/or raising them off the ground on bricks or something. The end grain at the ends of the legs will always get the finish rubbed off and will soak up water like a sponge.

==>raising them off the ground

I use 1/8" slices of UHMW screwed onto the bottom of outdoor furniture legs... Works extremely well. I use 1 1/2" #8 SS RH fasteners with a couple of drops of epoxy in the pilot hole to reinforce the fibers and support an end-grain attachment... I cut the UHMW for an 1/8" reveal and bevel the edges. This leaves the UHMW hidden...

==>paint suggestion will give you the most durable finish 

If it's a marine spar urethane, then (depending on what finish you actually used) you can look at 2-part marine urethane top-coat decking paint. It's just about the most durable coating available... In addition to boats, I use it for all outdoor utility pieces... Until I know the exact coating you've already used, I'm loathe to make a specific suggestion... But for consideration, take a look at this:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1439&familyName=Interlux+Perfection+Two+Part+Polyurethane 

The stuff is awesome... With additives to control gloss and surface traction, you can build almost any surface you desire.  The guys at Jamestown Distributors can answer all questions about compatibility... They are very helpful. They are not the cheapest source, but they've got 'the good stuff' and can tell you how to use it -- for me, that adds value and worth supporting...

==>raising them off the ground

I use 1/8" slices of UHMW screwed onto the bottom of outdoor furniture legs... Works extremely well. I use 1 1/2" #8 SS RH fasteners with a couple of drops of epoxy in the pilot hole to reinforce the fibers and support an end-grain attachment... I cut the UHMW for an 1/8" reveal and bevel the edges. This leaves the UHMW hidden...

==>paint suggestion will give you the most durable finish 

If it's a marine spar urethane, then (depending on what finish you actually used) you can look at 2-part marine urethane top-coat decking paint. It's just about the most durable coating available... In addition to boats, I use it for all outdoor utility pieces... Until I know the exact coating you've already used, I'm loathe to make a specific suggestion... But for consideration, take a look at this:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1439&familyName=Interlux+Perfection+Two+Part+Polyurethane 

The stuff is awesome... With additives to control gloss and surface traction, you can build almost any surface you desire.  The guys at Jamestown Distributors can answer all questions about compatibility... They are very helpful. They are not the cheapest source, but they've got 'the good stuff' and can tell you how to use it -- for me, that adds value and worth supporting...

It's good advice, but for a Frankenbench that is the first bench the op has built, with hopefully many more benches or iterations of better benches to come, I doubt it would be worthwhile to invest in a finish that is $65 per qt. Paint her and get back to woodworking ;-)

==>hopefully many more benches or iterations of better benches to come, I doubt it would be worthwhile to invest in a finish that is $65 per qt. Paint her and get back to woodworking

I hear you... Just exploring the possibilities...

The reason I brought it up is because, if you're like me, once I had a bench up and running, it's immediate replacement was put on the back burner while I built furniture... I think I kept my previous bench about five years longer than I should have --- just never got around to it......

That is a very good point, the top may release when things are clamped down! Unfortunately the top in my opinion is what really needs the most protection from the elements. All moot points if he covers his bench to keep it safe from the elements - just raise it off the top so that air can circulate.

Wow,  thanks for all the quick replies! Hope I can get the same responses when I start in on my tool questions!  Seems like spray paint may be the cheapest alternative.Afterall, I did build it with the idea that I would be putting it through some abuse as far as hammering and what not on it. I had to laugh because even today I looked at it and said it may be a frankenbench but it's the "purdiest one I ever built"  and I sure will hate to see that first mark on it ha ha.  I made sure when I applied the spar on it that I got every exposed surfaced including the feet bottoms.  I currently keep it up on bricks and under a tarp when not in use. Maybe it will get a fresh paint job this weekend and that will help lessen that fear of the first battle wound.  Thanks for all the help.

Oh yeah forgot to ask this question also.  Some have mentioned different types of epoxy coatings.  Is there any type of spray cans with like a Line X or similar coating that might work for the legs since when I use it I have to drag it across my concrete patio??  Anyone know if the "flex seal" stuff might work on wood?

Now that I have everyone laughing...

If you're dragging it across a concrete patio, the flex-seal would probably just rub right off eventually. I don't think it was mentioned, but what about screwing a piece of flat PVC or plexiglass to the bottom of each leg? If you're just dragging it across concrete and not slamming it down on the ground, I don't think shattering it would be an issue.

There's a couple of different plans out there for mobile shop bases.  You can adapt them for use on the workbench, so that you have to pick up one end of the bench to have the wheels engage the ground, so you won't have the bench roll on you when you're trying to chisel out a mortise.  The simplest idea would probably be Steve's idea, with a pair of blocks on the legs on one side.  If you can put in an axle, great, but it's not needed.  As long as the wheels are there, you should be golden.

(And if you're doubting the benefits of coating the plywood, I can send you some photos of some untreated plywood I had out this past winter.  Should be enough to convince people everywhere to finish their outdoor projects.)