Flat Tape Measure

EdgewaterWW

It's snowing in Denver and the gas is turned off because winter is over (?) in the shop/garage.

So I'm surfing the web for ideas and maybe something cheap to buy.

I love the FastCap web site and products, I have a hand full or two of their products.

So I'm looking at the FlatBack tape thinking it maybe handy for layout.

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=150&idcategory=0#!prettyPhoto

150-general.png

Does anyone use a flat tape (feedback please)? or do you just use a square or ruler or curved tape and just roll the edge over to make the mark?

now I use a square if under 12" and curved tape for longer and roll the edge, but it's not always fun wrestling with the tape and having the hook pop off the edge.

Hence I'm looking at this tape.

I tend to use a flat metal ruler for measurements 12" or shorter and a normal (curved) tape for longer rolling it until the edge is flat.  Curved tapes are nice if you need the stiffness to extend it over some distance but I can see where a flat tape like this would be nice.

I have this, and thought it would be a great idea when I bought it.  Had it for over a year now, and it's my least used tape measure.  It does work well in that it sits nice and flat for measuring.  The problem is that it has zero stiffness, and so it's impossible to extend it out to the far edge of a piece.

Turns out to be more trouble than it's worth, at least IMHO.  Sounds good in theory, but leaves much to be desired in practice.  If anyone ever comes up with a tape measure that is rigid so you can extend it, then lays flat to measure, that would be killer.

YMMV

I use it on a rough layout table where it is semi permanently affixed under plexi. (The table is a vinyl siding "saw table" with a custom extension to 11'. The tolerance is 1/8". Using it for such rough layout is advantageous because of the way it is not flexed under pressure. Away from the table however, a standard tape is ok to the 1/8" and much easier to use.

I have this tape measure, and it does work well.    I just don't use tape measures that often anymore, and when I do it is just construction type stuff, and this is worthless for that, as it has no stiffness in the blade.

With that said... if you like and use tape measures in the shop you will probably love it.

Josh

Thank you all for the replies. The vote seems 50/50. For about $8 I will pick one up and give it a try, I do have a few of their other tapes, the "standard story pole" is my go to tape and the "lefty/righty" (now called standard reverse) is the I use with my lefty nephew and brother in law. 

Like MIW said "But then again, I think I actually have a fetish for measuring tools." I think I do also, got about 16 tapes. But I try to follow the rule to only use one tape on a project. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a bunch of different FastCap tape measures and this is by far the most used. Yeah I don't use it for large layouts, but it's perfect for flat work. I'm a little surprised people don't use them much. The flat tape is also perfect to write on.

I have the tape you are showing above and I do like it because it makes marking a little bit easier. Something to keep in mind though is the front clip on it doesn't move at all. It is meant purely for pulling across a board to do measuring. Butting the end of the tape up against the inside corner of a box will actually give you an inaccurate measurement because the clip doesn't shift to accommodate for the thickness of the clip. So you will be off by about a 1/16"-1/32" of an inch. So for inside measurements you still have to have another traditional tape measure around.