Flattening a cutting board

I'm very new to wood working but I have been learning about it for years.  I've started on a very large end grain cutting board using maple and purple heart based off the video from the Marc (the woodwhisperer). I've got the initial glue up done such that I have the alternating maple and purple heart.  Now I'm trying to reflatten the boards b/c they didnt get exactly flat on the glue up.  On a previous attempt w/ a smaller board I just used clamping pressure to squeeze the uneven boards together which ended up giving a warped appearence.  I have a low angle jack plane which I tried to use to flatten the boards but the purple heart is getting serious tear out. 

I need some help figuring out how to flatten the board up.  I'm think about buying the toothed blade for the plane and hope that I can do it through that but before I screw it up more than I already have I was hoping someone might have a suggestion.  Would a higher beveled blade be okay?  The board is not currently endgrain.... just thought I'd throw that out there.

You need to order another blade for your LAJ and grind a high angle on it.  A toothed blade will make fast work of flattening, but you'll still need the high-angle blade to clean up all those tooth marks.  So either buy one or buy both, but you'll need a high-angle.  The bevel angle on the iron that comes with a LAJ is suitable for end grain only...it's gonna tear out most long grain pretty reliably.  On the other hand, a high-angle blade will do a good job on long grain, and an acceptable job on end grain as well if it's very sharp.  Which makes me wonder why they ship new LAJ planes with low angle blades...maybe so you have to buy two? :huh:

Or you can build a planer sled and flatten the whole thing that way.

Michael, You hit a nerve when you said sunlight. I took a cutting board (not end grain) to work last year to show someone and forgot and left it in the truck the next day in the summers heat. Damn thing almost looked like a taco shell when I took it out. I figured if the heat can distort it, maybe it will straighten it out. I put it on the driveway the next day sandwiched between two pieces of ply and a couple of bricks as weight on top of the top sheet. Came home that evening and it was completely flat.

Where in Texas are ya?

I live in Victoria.  Two to three hours from everything.  Not a bad place just not a good one for hobbyists.  I'll post some before after pics when I get the higher angle beveled blade in.  If I'm still getting tear out w/ a 50 degree bevel on long grain, I'll get a router sled built and do it that way.

• 1 month later...