What to do with these trees?

pghmyn

Assuming the closing goes through this time, I should be getting the keys to my newly purchased house tomorrow.

The lot is a typical city lot, nothing too extravagant in terms of size. There are four trees on my lot, though. I'm not sure of their exact species. However, three are very large and two are close to the house. The branches above are just starting to scrape the house, and I am told the old rule of thumb that a root ball goes as far as the furthest branch. I just had $14,000 of foundation work done to the house and it is warrantied to be water proof. I don't want roots ruining that for me.

Is there really no option but to have these trees cut down? If this is the only good option, I am most certainly getting them milled up for lumber. I mean these things are about 40-48" in diameter. Would be some nice slabs from that!

You might have a problem finding anybody to mill them. My local sawmills won't touch touch trees that were harvested in a town. They are afraid of nails and other metal objects ruining the expensive blades. The theory is people in town tend to drive nails in trees for all kinds of stuff. Maybe my sawyers are just picky.

Hold on there, cowboy.  If the branches are just starting to brush the house, I'm not so sure you need to take drastic measures and hack them down in such haste.  If they were planted right next to your foundation and there was danger of the roots causing damage, maybe...but they sound way farther away than that to me.  I'd suggest finding an arborist you can trust...TRUST being the operative word...since the shady ones (haha, pun intended) will just tell you, "Oh yeah, these need to come down at 2K a pop."  An honest one may very well tell you it's not a big deal.

Also, depending on the species and the typical growth pattern of the root structure (shallow v. deep) it's possible to grind out shallow roots that are encroaching on the house without hurting the tree...believe it or not.

That's my opinion anyway.  I'm a tree guy...meaning, I like shade on my property and over my house, and I think trees make a property look a thousand times nicer.  My goal is to eventually be ensconced in shade.  Some people like their crackerbox to sit and bake in unobstructed sun.  If you're one of those freaks then go ahead and start hackin'. :)

If the tree is too close to the house and causing problems, just cutting it down might not completely solve it. After the tree is cut down the roots may continue to grow and seek water around your foundation, so you will need to kill the root system too. They do sell chemicals to kill tree roots, I have read that people will use Epson salt too but I've never tried that.

My question is.... Did the person doing the basement repair with a "water proof warranty" mention anything about the trees? I would think that if he thought the trees might cause a future problem, he might have suggested doing something as preventive maintenance to keep him from having to provide warranty work later on.

Rog