1963 Powermatic jointer.

Llama

Ok, first. Feels weird to post here... But ok...

I expect to get some crap for this :)

Anyway...

I recently picked up a 1963 PM 6" jointer. After sorting out the wiring, I put it back together and it runs like a champ! Smooth machine!

A restoration will be in order when I'm not so darn busy.

Picture time! And new push blocks are on order.

emupa7ar.jpg

• Like 1

Great find! I love the old iron machines and Powermatic really made them to last. I own a 1967 PM-60 and I was amazed at how over built the components were when I did my restoration. It looked a lot like yours did when I first got it.

Before:

1s5n1eU.jpg?1

And after:

vnj0sDI.jpg

Check out owwm.org for help with the restoration if you need it. Good luck!

Apple Wood's before picture is the color I remember, that ugly nauseating green ! Imagine a pretty large shop filled with every tool that color.

If I was you I would paint it the current gold color or at least a darker green.

I like Apple Wood's after color and as far as what the PM people want us to believe their current color is.....well, it ain't gold and it would require bad words to describe. :unsure:  We'll just say it's Dijon mustard.

My plan is to paint it green. The exact shade is not decided on yet.

Apple wood,

I do need to find out how the blade guard is supposed to be tensioned. Right now there is a spring that doesn't do anything but bind up.

When the time for restoration comes I'll be looking for a new sticker and the proper switch. The rest seems to be in place and functional.

If I restore it to original, the only choice would be the light green. If I decide to repaint it with no care of being original, I will have a decision to make. Sorry for the confusion/lack of clarity on my part. But the paint decision is not going to happen any time soon with how busy I am.

You will not be able to find a new badge, you may find someone selling a badge in better shape then yours, but honestly I would just reuse the original badge. Having something a little beatup shows the machines age, it is also the only definite way of dating the machine. Owwm.org does have some recreated artwork, but you will likely be on your own turning that artwork into a badge.