Football's Back!

..Kev

No insult intended to anyone but American Football seems a silly name for a game that is played primarily with the hands. It is generally accepted that modern 'football' originated in 1888 with the formation of the Football Association but similar games have been found in ancient Greece and China amongst others.

I like watching American Football on occasion but I've got to own up  to being very bad at picking teams to follow (Buffalo - need I say more).

On a side note - The Football Act of 1424 banned the game in Scotland and the law was not repealed until 1906. Whilst from Wikipedia:

There is also an account in Latin from the end of the 15th century of football being played at Cawston, Nottinghamshire. This is the first description of a "kicking game" and the first description of dribbling: "[t]he game at which they had met for common recreation is called by some the foot-ball game. It is one in which young men, in country sport, propel a huge ball not by throwing it into the air but by striking it and rolling it along the ground, and that not with their hands but with their feet... kicking in opposite directions" The chronicler gives the earliest reference to a football pitch, stating that: "[t]he boundaries have been marked and the game had started.[30]

No insult intended to anyone but American Football seems a silly name for a game that is played primarily with the hands. It is generally accepted that modern 'football' originated in 1888 with the formation of the Football Association but similar games have been found in ancient Greece and China amongst others.

I like watching American Football on occasion but I've got to own up  to being very bad at picking teams to follow (Buffalo - need I say more).

On a side note - The Football Act of 1424 banned the game in Scotland and the law was not repealed until 1906. Whilst from Wikipedia:

Funny name, but a good game. I agree the name is quite a ways off from what the game entails.

But, in America we park in a driveway, and drive in a parkway.

If you're looking for a good team to follow, I'd be crazy not to suggest the Green Bay Packers ;) - the only team in the NFL the doesn't have an "owner"! But if you are wanting season tickets, be wary, the waiting list is more than 30 years out. People put their kids on the list when they are born!

• Like 1

I know it's basically un-American to say this...but football has turned into a stupid game.  It's about as much fun for me as watching golf.  Hike, handoff, tackle, hike, handoff, tackle, hike, handoff, tackle, punt.  Yawn.  I guess the passing game is passe.  It's akin to how the home run has ruined baseball.  I'll catch the few amazing plays on the highlight reel and be fine with not wasting three hours of my life.

Although, it is a great excuse to drink beer with your buddies on a Sunday, and I do love this time of year...at least, I will when October rolls around.  Cool weather, pretty fall colors, chili and hot wings.

I started to follow the Bills back in 1991cwhen I got given a ticket to watch them and the Eagles play at Wembley. I knew nothing about either team or the game but I had to pick one to go for so I decided to support the one with the nicest looking cheerleaders. Sexist and stupid way of deciding but I couldn't think of any other way :P

I know it's basically un-American to say this...but football has turned into a stupid game. It's about as much fun for me as watching golf. Hike, handoff, tackle, hike, handoff, tackle, hike, handoff, tackle, punt. Yawn. I guess the passing game is passe. It's akin to how the home run has ruined baseball. I'll catch the few amazing plays on the highlight reel and be fine with not wasting three hours of my life.

Although, it is a great excuse to drink beer with your buddies on a Sunday, and I do love this time of year...at least, I will when October rolls around. Cool weather, pretty fall colors, chili and hot wings.

I agree with this for the most part. NFL football has also become a joke with the fines and penalties. I mean come on, the QB might as well not be wearing pads at all because the defenders aren't allowed to touch him anyway.

Pass interference, I could do without about 50% of the calls they make. They expect the defender to be in absolute perfect position each time with no contact.

I could go on. But like you said, it's a good excuse to get together with friends. Drink beer. Eat greasy food. Can't beat it.

I'm not a football fan but do wonder how the traumatic brain injury issue is going to change the game.  So far there has only been discussion of brain function problems but if the hit is just right I wonder if it could cause a fistula which is very life threatening.  My son has one (not from participating in a sport) and has had four brain surgeries and the potential for it to start bleeding again is high.