Piano hinge - mortise or no?

I apologize in advance if this is a horrible noob question, but here goes:

I'm building a toy box and am at that point that next I will be adding a piano hinge and some lid support to prevent little fingers from getting hurt.  As odd as it may seem, I have never installed a hinge on a project like this and i am wondering whether I need to mortise the hinge in, or if I can simply pre-drill holes with Vix Bit and attach with screws (as is suggested in accompanying literature).

The box is 3/4" pine, so I plan to use a 1 1/2" x 48" hinge, which I will need to cut down to size (plan on using a hacksaw with fine-tooth metal blade)

I appreciate any advice.

Not mortising the hinge in will put a gap between the boards the thickness of the two hinge leaves.  If you can live with that and it doesn't create a greater pinch hazard then the opposite side of the lid then I wouldn't waste the time removing that much material.

• Like 1

thanks guys!  I appreciate all the help.  My gut was to not mortise the hinge also.  I probably will do a mock on some scrap wood with the lid support as suggested.

Would you guys install the hardware first, then remove it all in order to finish (stain and topcoat), and then re-install?  Or would you simply wait until after finishing the piece to do the installs?

I'm assuming it is a matter of preference, but is it better to install the hinge on the inside or on the outside (back of the chest)?

I would consider a piano hinge like this. With the extra torque from the closers, I have had regular piano hinges pull right off the screws. I have used these hinges and have had no problems. I tend to go a little overboard, but when I build something I build it to last. 

19423-03-1000.jpg
Rockler Brass Plated Partial Wrap Slotted Piano HingeItem #: 19423

I'd also add a small rubber cushion to the corners of the lid at the front.  Something equal to the thickness you've added with the hinge.  If you can't find rubber that size, you could always sand it down (respirator definitely recommended) or use felt squares.  

• Like 1