They brought in an expert

krtwood

Over on the "Tested" youtube channel they are building an arcade cabinet.  They got someone to come in and help them with the woodworking aspects since they don't know what they are doing in that area.

Here he is, hard at work showing how to use the table saw safely...

post-13721-0-75975300-1409700148_thumb.j

What you can't see is that he's got one of the guys who doesn't know anything holding the other end of the board that is long enough to stick out well past the left extension wing, because it wasn't already dangerous enough.

It pisses me off because here you've got someone who doesn't know any better and they've reached out to someone who supposedly knows their stuff so they can do it safely.

They are shooting the video in Adam Savage's (of Mythbusters) shop, though Adam isn't there.  This guy apparently used to work with Adam at ILM and now has his own prop making business.  I hope Adam knows better than this guy, or he should invest some of his money in a Sawstop.  Well, if he's going to let people use his shop while he's not around that wouldn't be a bad idea regardless.

I was a little surprised when I heard he going to cut that large piece of ply on the bandsaw (rather than jigsaw), but I assumed he had something cool like the large bandsaw station/table that David Marks had. Then came the cringe moment when you saw that tiny table on the bandsaw and the guy holding it on the other end.

Also off the safety topic, surprised they didn't use a template/router for the sides/parts.

I was a little surprised when I heard he going to cut that large piece of ply on the bandsaw (rather than jigsaw), but I assumed he had something cool like the large bandsaw station/table that David Marks had. Then came the cringe moment when you saw that tiny table on the bandsaw and the guy holding it on the other end.

Also off the safety topic, surprised they didn't use a template/router for the sides/parts.

I was generally unimpressed by the expert, not just over that safety aspect.  To be fair, it's not in his own shop and Adam doesn't seem very well equipped as far as woodworking.  A little surprising that he hasn't at least upgraded that band saw!  While you've got the router set up to do the side parts you may as well make a template for the top too.  It doesn't have to be the full top, it can just be a little bit bigger than 1/4 and you flip it around to do each corner.  That's the sort of trick you expect to get when you bring in an expert.  Norm kept saying they still had some routing to do but I'm pretty sure Norm doesn't know what 'routing' actually means.  He's really evening out the woodworking knowledge level for the name.

It's interesting to see the collision of woodworking with other trades in the whole "maker" deal.  I've seen Adam going on at length about Forstner bits in at least 2-3 videos as if it were some great secret passed down to him from a very wise old Tibetan cabinet maker and then in the next sentence he's throwing out terms that I have no idea what they are and they laugh about how people will be asking what they are talking about in the comments as if those people must be stupid to not know.  You can learn a lot about someone's background just by what they choose to explain and what they take for granted people will know.

Worse part of that is the guy recruited to help hold the board; he's trusting the 'expert' to keep him out of danger.  Maybe he won't get hurt that far from the blade if something goes wrong, but he'd feel horrible if the 'expert' got hurt while he was helping thinking he was the reason.

I have a couple hobbies:  music, cooking, woodworking.   In all cases, TV "experts" often get it wrong - not just a little wrong, a lot wrong.   This makes me wonder how much bad advice I receive on subjects I know little about! 

All of us woodworkers know the difference between shortcuts used by experienced people and just bad/dangerous technique.  That freehand crosscut in particular is really bad, but looks so intuitive and easy to do that many people will copy it, mostly likely on a poorly maintained and underpowered jobsite saw with a dull blade, making it even more dangerous.