Framing and hanging a large mirror

colin72

Hi

I have a large mirror that I want to frame and hang on drywall. I'm very much an amateur but can do basic woodworking/DIY as long as I have instructions.

I've read many "how to hang/frame a mirror" posts online but none seem to address the issues I have.

The mirror is 42" x 60" x 4 mm thick and weighs about 27 lbs. I want to do a simple frame maybe 2" thick and will paint it black.

I don't want to adhere (glue) the mirror to the wall and then build the frame around it like some people do with existing mirrors in bathrooms.

I'm really not sure what my options are and what is the best way to go about this.

Should I use some kind of adhesive to mount the mirror on a backing board first and build the frame around it and the backing support? If so, I've read using the wrong adhesive can damage the silvering. If I do mount it to a backing support, how thick should it be? Weight is obviously an issue so something like 3/4" plywood would add a ton a weight. Also, the whole thing will need some type of hangers attached to the back and I can't figure out how that would work.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Colin

Rabbet the molding to hold the mirror. Use glaziers points to attach the mirror to the frame. Add the back, or just a couple of wide strips across the back of the molding. You could run an small strip all the way around the back to conceal whatever you use for the back/ strips.

You can also use a 45 degree ripped cleat to hang and brace the back of the molding/ frame.

• Like 1

Wdwerker hit it right on the head. I built a faux window mirror frame earlier this year, using the same techniques. Rather than glazier's points, I used a forstner bit to make 4 recesses around the edge of the rabbet that holds the mirror. These were 7/8" diameter, and overhung the edge of the rabbet by 1/4". I made them slidghtly deeper than the thickness of a 3/4" fender washer. Then I took 4 washers, and drilled a 3/16" hole to one side of center, and ground a 1/4" flat on the opposide side of center. Screwing the washers into their recesses through the center hole, and barely snugging them up, allows me to turn the so that the flats are in line with the edge of the rabbet to insert the mirror, then turn them so that the washer hangs over and holds the mirror in place. The hole to one side of center is so I can use an awl, nail, or screwdriver to turn the washer.

• Like 2