dining room bench

rodger.

A lady asked me to build her a bench for her dining room table. She wanted a "kind of rustic" feel, so we settled on this very minimalist design.

She wanted "some knots" and it had to be pine to match her table. So I went with 8\4 no 1 common knotty.

The bench is 72" long, 17" wide, and about 19" high (all her dimensions). To keep the design balanced, I used some proportional design.

Joinery in dominos, with some braces added for further support, as the span is so long. The lady did not want a lower bar between the legs, so it needed some extra support. If three guys were sitting on the bench drinking beers, I didn't want them to end up on the floor. I left the apron extra thick, and made the legs a beefy 3" square.

The stain is oil based dark walnut, with 4 coats of general high perf poly on top.

I almost never work with softwood, so it was a nice change of pace. Again, very plain piece, but designed with another's taste in mind. I still need to "distress" it, and my daughter and her dinkies will help me.

Enjoy!

post-6372-0-25295200-1414888598_thumb.jp

This is a cell phone photo. I'll get my wife to snap some good ones later and post em up.

What method did you use to attach the top to the base?

Originally I was going to go with hardwood buttons, or perhaps z clips. In the end I created some mounting stips underneath. I routed out a channel for wood movement, and used screws with washers to hold it all together. I'll post a pic in a few mins.

Here's the pics

post-6372-0-95000200-1414895795_thumb.jppost-6372-0-43971000-1414896161_thumb.jp

Distress it and be proud ! You are creating a piece to complement the rest of her furniture so it needs to be distressed . Any shame lies with the people who made the original " distressed" piece. I have gone to great lengths to match a few pieces to truly old distressed work for clients. I taped off an area underneath and wrote my name and the date plus the process I used to " age and distress" the piece. That kinda thwarts anyone from claiming its anything other than a " reproduction " of an older style with wear.

Great looking sturdy bench !