Fixing up sanding mistakes after staining.

jcims

Hi folks,

I'm working on a basement bar and just put the first coat of stain (minwax oil-based) on the bar top, which is 5x3/4 unfinished red oak floor planks on top of 3/4" ply.  Overall i'm happy with how it turned out but I found one spot with some sanding swirl marks where it looks like maybe a chip got stuck under the sander.   I would like to try to fix it but am afraid i'm going to be left with an uneven stain application.

Any suggestions?  Is there a good way to find this kind of thing before you start laying down the stain?

Thanks!

I have often found sanding mistakes after staining. I just use,the,same abrasives I used originally. Keep switching to clean sandpaper when the stain and sawdust clogs up the abrasive, this is going to happen a LOT ! Stain the area, then lightly restain the entire surface and wipe back to acheive an even color.

Coat the remaining bar with stain. Everything will be equalized with one coat. Now wait for the bar to fully cure and dry, may take a few weeks. Go over the entire bar and re-sand. Make sure to remove all sanding dust perfectly from your bar. Then re-stain as planed. I would also advise to take a scrap and work out your remaining finishing schedule. Do to the scrap as you would to the bar.

In the future, what you can do is apply a weak waterbased dye solution to your wood. This will show you any sanding scratches. Then simply sand off the dye.

It's always best after you machine sand, to hand sand with the grain.

-Ace-

Edited by Ace