Rough Timber - Preserve and Protect Apearance

BillyDvd

I am working on a mahogany timber and the wife really want s me to keep it in the "rough". I even have to keep the "paint" on it from the mill.

Is there any finish I can use (should I even use any) to keep the look and feel of the rough look?

It will be indoors and away from any liquids if this matters.

post-15392-0-03193100-1417640334_thumb.j

Thanks

Bill

I don't finish rough lumber but I sometimes work with barn wood.

If I want to retain the patina I go with:

Super light wire brush if necessary.

Brief spray with a hose to saturate the surfaces.

Then alternate a light application of a coarse natural bristle brush and power wash from a distance without concentrating the spray for any length of time.

Do that until it is how you like. The water will soften and raise the wood fibers and the brush will knock them down.

It doesn't take much. Just wash it briefly for a few minutes then scrub quickly across the grain and repeat.

If you're going to sand do it on a test piece. Sanding can change the character completely.

Go to a soft natural bristle brush(or plastic) to finish out.

Wash clean and let it dry.

If you're working on just plain rough lumber rather than something with a patina you may want to use the power washer much more aggressively, like a sandblaster.

I don't see any other way than spraying to "finish" the rough surface, but I would consider leaving it unfinished if it would work.

Dave