Veritas BU Jack or shooter

doorslammer

I hate doing this, but I'm looking for some opinions to push me off the fence. Originally I had my eye on the shooting plane, but struggling with it being such a specialized tool. Sounds like the BU jack would be almost as good on the shooting board and be more versatile. I already have a vintage bedrock 605 and Baily 5 1/2, not to mention an old Record setup as a scrub plane, so I don't really "need" any more jack planes. Thoughts?

Hmm...seems like everyone is leaning towards the shooter, when I think I was slightly tilted the other way :). I still mix hand and power quite a bit which is part of my hesitation. However, part of the reason for my current three headed setup is that I prefer to use them for different tasks. Grr......the internal struggle continues.

The Veritas BU jack is probably the single plane that sees the most use in my shop, with the possible exception of my old #4.   Unlike the #5 1/2, which is as I recall the same length, it ends up being useful for jointing and is far better for uses like a shooting board.   One could probably tune a #5 1/2 to get similar performance, but I don't think it can be the all-rounder that the BU jacks from Veritas or LN are.

That said, the dedicated shooters are a real step up in performance, both speed and quality of surface.  Depending on how often you use a shooting board, it would make a lot of sense.

I'm swaying back towards the shooter. I spent some time with my 605 And 5 1/2 tonight and realized that they do what I need. My 5 1/2 is an early one with the same 2 1/4" wide iron as the Veritas which I really like. I don't see any benefit in the high angle capability of the BU format in a jack since a tear out can be tolerated if you are going to follow up with a smoother. So that leaves the low angle end which is for shooting. I think if I were just starting out the BU would make sense, but maybe not at this point.