Cutting boards... Is Christmas over yet?

Tom Cancelleri

Trip through the planer to clean up and joint the faces.

29d714d75c60e38482577aa756043b93.jpg

All squared up and trimmed at the table saw.

2be046e3bb51c5cfa5eb16458d5e4472.jpg

Debating now if I want to do them end grain or not. They look great as is, and would still kick ass as cutting boards.

I thought planing these is dangerous? Or is that only once they are all end grain facing up?

If I could add a suggestion, I would arrange the ends so that the sequences are all complete from end to end, as opposed to a half sequence on each end. Other than that it's nice to look at.

Freddie,

I thought about leaving it straight, however by staggering the blocks in a brick pattern it adds to the strength of the board reducing any chance of a glue joint failing. While it's rare, it's still a possibility, I had a glue joint do it on a long grain board I had bought a long time ago.

I need to figure out how I'm gonna do the finger recesses on the bottom. I'm thinking cove bit on my router table with the flip stops set in place, and locate it in the centers on the short edges.

I assume you're talking about for handles?

I just did a round over on both sides of the board and skipped the handles.  They're plenty easy to pick up..

I assume you're talking about for handles?

I just did a round over on both sides of the board and skipped the handles.  They're plenty easy to pick up..

I always get nervous about routing end grain. I suppose I could use a 1/2" round over bit on both sides. Always afraid of tear out, though a backing block does wonders

Freddie,

I thought about leaving it straight, however by staggering the blocks in a brick pattern it adds to the strength of the board reducing any chance of a glue joint failing. While it's rare, it's still a possibility, I had a glue joint do it on a long grain board I had bought a long time ago.

I'm sorry, I was not referring to changing the whole layout. I was referring to your original layout just adjusting the outside layers so the pattern was continuous from end to end instead of a half pattern on the ends. Am I making sense or just rambling? :D

I'm sorry, I was not referring to changing the whole layout. I was referring to your original layout just adjusting the outside layers so the pattern was continuous from end to end instead of a half pattern on the ends. Am I making sense or just rambling? :D

Makes sense, however where sapwood and heartwood met had some spots that were irregular and was unstable and I could break off some of it by hand and it was close to the bark. I had to trim those pieces on the table saw so they had to go on the ends of the boards. I also alternated the grain to avoid cupping.

wow 30 or so passes through the drum sander??

I have the Performax 10-20. The board is 11" wide, and I have 100 grit on there right now. Sanding end grain adds more pressure than long grain, plus it's the full drum size so I was doing approximately 12 thou per pass which is slightly under 1/64". Don't wanna run through too slow or you scorch the wood, if you go too fast you stall the drum. Plus I did both sides.