washing shop rags

Brendon_t

Are shop rags washable to you or are they use and toss? With three young growing kids I have a lot of old ripped cotton shirts I cut up to use as rags for staining, wiping, cleaning etc. I've got a decent dirty pile and think I will try to wash and reuse instead of throwing them out. Anybody have input as to how they should be washed to remove the old gunk, finished and stuff? Last thing I want to do is wash them normal just to find out I killed the washing machine.

If the rag has oil or stain on it toss. I use microfiber rags to pick up dust between coats, those get washed in a separate load. All cotton shop rags can be bought by the pound at most finish suppliers. Old tee shirts work pretty good too. Watch out for buttons ,thick seams, zippers etc. they can scratch your finely sanded surfaces.

I use Scott Rags  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kimberly-Clark-Rags-in-a-Box-300-ct-75600/202530912?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-203177070-_-202530912-_-N 

First bought them on a whim as thought they might occasionally be handy.  Tried them once for wipe on finish and it worked so well that's about all I use now. At $0.06 each toss them.