Candle holder... The perfect gift I was trying to figure out

Tom Cancelleri

Thanks for the inspiration Mzdadoc. After seeing your candle holder, it got me thinking. My cousin's boyfriend just built a new entry table for their house. He's been building a bunch of skid based rustic looking stuff with a limited amount of tools. Power planer, miter saw, job site table saw, it's awfully empty and a candle holder would do wonders. Been at it about 2 hours. Hit a wall, I can't drill through the sycamore to seat the glass votives I have a 1 3/4" hole saw and a 2" hole saw. The 1 3/4" is too small and the 2" is too big. I need 1 7/8 forstner bit or something. Looks like tomorrow a trip to the store is needed. 

Built a quick and dirty bow jig from a scrap piece of 2x4 and a piece of pine scrap to get my curve. Traced it to some MDF, cut on the bandsaw and smoothed the curve with the OSS, and some hand sanding. 

I didn't snap any during pics because I was using my phone for music and it was plugged in. After making the template I traced the template to the project piece, and roughed it out on the bandsaw. I used my micro pinner to attach it to the bottom of the project piece (no double sided tape). I used a flush trim bit on my router table to clean up the edges even though I got some burning to sand away at the end. I pulled the leftover walnut I had from my cutting boards out and placed it in 1 corner where I thought it looked good. I traced where I wanted the half lap to cover over the sycamore. Made a second template. Cut it out on the scroll saw with the notch that needed to be in sycamore. Flipped it to each of the remaining corners so the positioning was all the same. Cut it out on the scroll saw. Sanded it, now to do the legs.

Put on my dado stack, figured out the height of the legs, marked where I wanted the dados. marked the wood, made the cuts. Put my Incra Miter 5000 sled with my Freud ultimate cutoff blade, my my angle cut on the top, flipped it to the stop to trim the bottoms to all match in height.  

Now to make a through hole in the board for the glass votive holders, Maybe I can make a template and pattern bit it. 

IMAG2202.jpg

candle_holder_1.jpg

candle_3.jpg

candle_2.jpg

If you do manage to get a Forstner bit of the right size use it to make a routing template. Otherwise if you just use the Forstner to make the recess you will be left with a location hole in the centre.

Alternatively you might be able to buy a cheap hole saw to make the routing template. Forstner's of that size are quite expensive. Of course if you are intending to drill all the way through then there is no problem.

I like the design and execution of the candle holders.

• Like 1

I bought a couple templates from Rockler a long time ago that have a bunch of different hole sizes.  It comes in handy quite often.

That's a good tip from TDW...but I wouldn't do that on the router table like he did.  I'm not judging him, it's just not for me.  Too scary.  I've done that trick before but I used handheld for both bits.

Yes I'm with Eric. I would guide the piece with paddles (I value my fingers too much) on the router table only after removing the most waste I could. There is a likelyhood the piece could grab and split along the grain. Worse still it could pull your fingers right into that bit when grabbing.

At least with the more preferable handheld method you have the router body between you and that bit.

• Like 1

Also you can go in the opposite direction (create a smaller hole) using a bushing, if you have a bit that's a bit larger than the hole you need.  I did this to inlay the big ol' honkin' nut for the BC leg vise.  Didn't have exactly the right size pattern, but using the correct bit and bushing I was able to find the perfect fit.

I love this, and agree - the sycamore is beautiful, though the wacky grain is a little intimidating... all I see is "chip out" when I imagine working with it. but really nice job, it's a simple and elegant design.

Thanks. Sycamore is wonderful to work with, it machines easy, never had any tear out. I get it rough sawn. Run it over my helical head jointer and through my 3 knife dewalt planer. Never had any issues. The surface of it however does need a good sanding since you can feel slightly raised fibers on the surface. Maybe that's due to it being quartersawn. 

alas but I have no jointer or planer, so it's hand milling for me (I do have a table saw), and I tore up some figured maple with my smoother so I need to work on my sharpening and planing skills before I start tackling really figured wood for reals.  it is encouraging to hear that the sycamore doesn't tear out on the machines, gives me hope for the handtools, but i'd probably still go at it with a scraper rather than a smoother when it comes down to it... 

it's still beautiful, really nice work.  looks like you cut the notches in the sycamore piece for the legs, is that right?

it's still beautiful, really nice work.  looks like you cut the notches in the sycamore piece for the legs, is that right?

I notched the sycamore using my scroll saw due to the curve, then I notched the walnut using my table saw and dado blade, this creates an interlocking half lap joint

very cool, i'm tempted to try something like this, would be a challenge with hand tools but that won't stop me :)

It shouldn't be too bad with hand tools. if you're going for a curve that would be the hardest part in my opinion. Cutting the half lap joints by hand would be fairly easy. Mark the wood, cut the lines, chisel out the waste.