Experiences with Schwarz's Two-Day Workbench

chrisb

I scoped out the videos and it does look like a functional design for a bench.

As for the top do you know anyone with a vacuum veneer press? That would be perfect to laminate a couple of those tops together.

The longer you can let the lumber dry and acclimate to the shop the better your results will be.

As for the top do you know anyone with a vacuum veneer press? That would be perfect to laminate a couple of those tops together.

Seems like a lot of work for a bench. They just use drywall screws, and then remove them when it dries. Sounds like something a buddy of mine would think up. But hey if it works....

The drywall screws provide point pressure and not so much an inch or so away. It works but the top by Schwartz's admission needed more flattening. Any kind of even clamping pressure like a veneer press would yield a flatter top, if you have acess to one.

It's just a plastic bag and a vacuum pump. If anyone in Atlanta needs acess to one give me a call.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to a veneer press.  So I will most likely be using drywall screws.  

I decided against laminating a top since I don't have a planar or jointer (I hope to at some point). 

My expectations for the workbench are pretty modest.  Solid, simple to build, and something that will tied me over until I am ready to construct a more elaborate one in a number of years.

Chris.

• Like 1