Hello from Minnesota

cabinfever

I registered here a few weeks ago, and I've posted alot, but never found this section of the forums until now..... so let me introduce myself! My name is Brian, and I live in Maple Grove, MN. I work in IT by day, and I buy a lot of tools woodwork on nights and weekends. I have a wife and two kids under the age of 5.

I've spent about 5 years collecting my kit of mostly handtools, and adding power tools along the way. First a 14" bandsaw. Then a 12" jointer/planer. Then I got the turning bug, and bought a small lathe. And of course to drill out those handles and pen blanks you need a drill press...

Before you know it, my hand tool shop was taken over by power tools. And I realized I don't really care about being a hand tool purist. So a couple weeks ago I listed a bunch of excess tools on ebay, sold them and used the money to buy a table saw.

I've just recently joined the Wood Whisperer Guild, and I look forward to getting my "hybrid" basement shop setup and to start working on the February guild build. I have alot to learn, but hey that's why we're here!  ^_^

Why "cabinfever"?

The forum name "cabinfever" comes from one of my favorite events of the year, which is the "Cabin Fever" M-WTCA meet in February held in Medina, MN. I found out about the M-WTCA in my following of Christopher Schwarz and Joel Moskowitz. I actually got to meet Chris at last year's meet, as he was filming Mike Siemsen for the DVD, The Naked Woodworker. If you aren't a member and have meets in your area, join up! I always end up with great tool deals from these meets, not to mention seeing some rare old tools on display. They also reprint an old publication or tool catalog and send it out to members every year.