Knock down saw horses and low assembly table

TerryMcK

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Mark J said:

I like it, Terry.  Very nice.  

What did you use to cut the components out of the 4 x 8 sheet?  Track saw/Jig saw/Table saw?

Also, did you ever put in the lightening holes?  I am not sure I would.

I did that with a regular crappy DIY quality circular saw and trimmed them to size on the table saw. Only bought a track saw in the last few months.

I left out the lightening holes as I found they are unnecessary but I did put large radii on the ends of each of the crossmembers and longitudinal components. It makes it much easier to slide a sheet onto without fear of snagging on a sharpish edge.

I also use the knock down saw horses as a base for my torsion box low assembly table. I think I did a journal for that some where on here too but the photos are below. You can see that the top surface of the torsion box top is around 24 - 26" off the floor. Most furniture that we build is more comfortable to assemble at this height. The top of a chest of drawers is not too high that you need a ladder for instance. Also assembling tables or chairs is a breeze at this height. The top is simply placed onto the modular base and doesn't slide around. You could incorporate some sort of mechanical fixings (screws) but in practice I've not found it necessary.

1-IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

• Like 1