It's The Small Wins In Life...

Boatworks Today

So I went down in the basement tonight for something and noticed that our heating boiler was reading an error code.  At the same time, I also noticed that it was a little cold and looked at the thermostat..  45F <_<.  Not cool (figuratively).. 

Hit the reset button on the boiler and nothing..  Hmm..

Turns out that the error code is for low water pressure in the system.  Checked the pressure guage and sure enough..  ZERO pounds of pressure... 

Traced down the water supply to verify it wasn't something stupid like a frozen line, but not the problem...

Determined that the reducing valve feeding the boiler had crapped the bed in the closed position.  Yup, not cool; especially since it's supposed to be -15F tonight :unsure:... 

The error code also overrides the safety feature on the boiler to circulate water to keep it from freezing..

Well, lets weigh the options... 

A: Let it go until morning and replace the valve

PROS: I can throw another log on the fire and relax for the rest of the night as the rest of the house will be toasty warm....

CONS: Risk the air coming in on the intake could potentially freeze the water in the boiler and I'm out a few grand to replace it...

B:  Figure out a way to introduce more pressure into the system so the error code goes away and the boiler fires..

Yup, gonna go with plan 'B'...

Took a supply line off the washing machine, hooked it up to the main pressure tank for the house via garden hose and manually charged the system until I got to 12PSI.  Boiler reset and all is well with the world (at least for tonight) B).

I'm sure the HVAC guys here are saying, "Duh", but it was a small win for 11pm.  

Cracking another beer and will be heading to the supply store in the morning for a new valve :P..

Gloat Over... 

• Like 2

I fixed a pocket door the other day on which the inside wheel detached from the door.  The only way to get to the wheel would've been to cut a hole in the wall. 

A couple rare earth magnets epoxyed to a 8ft thin scrap of mdf and I got that sucker on the first try through the pocket.  No wall to cut.

Raised both arms to the air, and with chin held high I shouted,  "I am a golden god!".

You're right - the small wins do feel the best.

• Like 1