deadhead logging in FL gets man arrested

Jfitz

I made this garden bench out of lumber salvaged from log jams:

http://IMAG0547_zpsb539902b.jpg

This blanket chest was made from oak which was said to be salvaged from an 80+ year old boat dock in Michigan.

The planks were used during a remodel to make doors, trim, desk tops, and floors.

I used the cut-offs.

http://IMAG0498_zps02ddb49e.jpg

http://IMAG0499_zps2cf8553f.jpg

Salvaged lumber can be difficult to work with. It has a tendency to move a lot when it is milled.

Ripping on a bandsaw rather than a table saw is a really good idea.

Dave

I have used salvaged heart pine several times over the years. A guy in south Ga. buys the timbers from old post and beam warehouses being demolished . Runs them thru a powerful metal detector, removes the nails etc. and resaws them into flooring . Beautiful wood but the cleaner grades without nail holes , flaws and stains can be expensive .

I used a beam from my house that burnt, for a mantel in the new house, I tried to find someone to cut the timber in to manageable pieces to build the cabinets and flooring but I could not find anyone who would touch it. I had around 20 beams i had salvaged in a pile the ended up getting cut up and burned.

I don't actually see a problem with this. The logs were lost/abandoned on a state navigable waterway. So the state claims ownership. Why not? The state pays to maintain that waterway and if some yahoo disturbs it trying to recover the logs and ends up blocking the waterway to navigation or creating an environmental hazard or whatever then the state will have to clean up the mess.

This isn't like the state is taking logs that belonged to him in the first place, or were on his own property. You want to harvest timber on government land, you better get all your permits. Don't see why the same wouldn't apply to a waterway.

• 3 weeks later...

I have used deadhead cypress, reclaimed American chestnut from old buildings, cherry from an old table leg, maple from an old drawer, plus others in building mountain dulcimers and other stringed instruments.

The deadhead cypress used for tone wood resulted in a lovely sounding and great looking instruments, but there was a lot of checking to work around.  I wasn't crazy about working with it because my dust control is poor and the sawdust from the cypress seemed to cling to everything.  I am not sure how typical those issues are of the wood or if it was just the piece that I had.  It did saw and sand nicely other than the sticky sawdust.

The chestnut was also extra work to work around various flaws but I think the results were quite beautiful.  I like working with this wood a lot.  If it was easier to come by nice pieces I would use it more.

jessie6_zpsnbhpfkhi.png